Team PNoy Out To Oust Enrile?

PAVIA, Iloilo - Is the administration finally moving to oust Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile in the middle of the campaign season?

The race for the Senate leadership was apparently out in the open after re-electionist Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel described Senator Franklin Drilon as the "future Senate President" in a campaign rally of Team PNoy here Thursday.

"Our future Senate President and he's not denying it," Pimentel said in acknowledging the presence of Drilon at the Pavia plaza here.


Related News: Team PNoy wishes Aquino 'true love'


Pimentel did not say if Drilon will be the next Senate President in case the senatorial candidates of Team PNoy win seats in the May midterm elections.

Drilon, campaign manager of Team PNoy, simply smiled when Pimentel surprisingly mentioned him as the replacement of Enrile.

Enrile, who has been at odds with some senators questioning his alleged irregular use of Senate funds, will end his term in the Senate in 2016. He has fielded his son Jack to run for senator under the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) this May elections.

Although there was no actual endorsement of Drilon to lead the Senate, President Benigno S. Aquino III also did not hide his admiration for the senator during a campaign stop in his home province, saying the nation is "lucky" to have the "big man of the Senate."


Other News: Explain iPad promo, Jamby told


In asking the public to support the administration senatorial candidates in the May elections, the President said Drilon needs more allies in the Senate.

"Baka makalimutan naman po ninyo yun mga senador natin kung pwede dadaanan ko lang sandal, ha. Baka makalimutan ninyo ako bigyan ng kakampi sa Senado, patay naman yun ating big man kung nagiisa siya," Aquino said.

The President also thanked Drilon for ensuring the implementation of key government projects, including the Jalaur River reservoir project, in Iloilo province.

He said Drilon made sure the South Korean loan-funded irrigation project, first broached in the 1960s to boost farm production, augment power and water supply and mitigate floods in Iloilo, will finally be constructed and completed by 2016.


Other News: ‘Crising’ death toll rises


"Uulitin ko ho, suwerte natin meron tayong Frank Drilon na nabasa iyong Republic Act noong tumanda na ho siya at napaalalang matagal ng ambisyon ng ating mga kababayan Ilonggo," Aquino said.

Drilon, who previously served as Senate President, proved to be a more popular politician compared to the administration senatorial candidates after he was given a standing ovation by the crowd at the Pavia campaign rally.

A resident of Pavia claimed that Drilon has contributed much to the province's economic development with his various projects.
Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options