Teen Thompson takes LPGA lead in title defense

Defending champion Lexi Thompson fired a nine-under par 63, matching the course record to grab a two-stroke lead after the first round of the Navistar LPGA Classic.

The 17-year-old American won the event by five strokes last year, becoming the youngest champion in LPGA history at age 16 -- a mark broken by 15-year-old New Zealand amateur Lydia Ko at last month's Canadian Women's Open.

But Thompson showed no sign of being surpassed at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail's Senator course, firing nine birdies without a bogey to finish the round two strokes ahead of American Lizette Salas and South Korean Hee Young Park.

"It feels really good getting a first round of 63 under my belt, but you just have to take it one shot at a time," Thompson said. "I hope to play like I did for the next three rounds."

Thompson opened her career-low round with a birdie, then ran off three in a row starting at the par-4 fourth.

She closed the front nine and opened the back nine with birdies, added another birdie at the par-3 13th, and also had back-to-back birdies at the par-3 16th and par-5 17th.

At the 18th, with a chance to claim the course record all for herself, Thompson missed a birdie putt by six inches.

"I wasn't thinking about the course record," she said. "I was just trying to put a good stroke on it like every other putt."

Thompson, ranked 25th, missed only one green in regulation in matching the course record of 63 set by Japan's Mika Miyazato and Australian Lindsey Wright in the 2010 event.

Thompson, whose previous career-low round was a 65 fired at the Navistar in 2009, had a specially prepared breakfast at her favorite grill-to-order diner near the course as she did before her rounds last year before her only LPGA title. She dined on egg whites, bacon, wheat toast and potatoes.

"Valerie (Perry), she's the main cook there and she sings, so it keeps me relaxed, keeps me laughing before my round," Thompson said. "It's a good atmosphere."

Britain's Karen Stupples, South Korean Mi Hyang Lee and Americans Amanda Blumenhurst, Wendy Ward and World No. 2 Stacy Lewis, seeking her third title of the year, shared fourth on 66.

"It was actually a pretty frustrating 66," Lewis said. "I had a ton of putts go right over the edge and just lip out."

On 67 were Canada's Lorie Kane and Alena Sharp, and Americans Sydnee Michaels, Angela Stanford, Dori Carter and Karlin Beck.

World No. 1 Yani Tseng of Taiwan opened with a 71.

j

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options