Teenage mountain climber saved by helmet after 26ft fall down cliff face in Lake District

A teenage climber was saved by his helmet after a fall from a cliff face in the Lake District (Keswick Mountain Rescue Team)

Rescuers say a teenage mountain climber’s life was saved by his helmet after he fell 26ft (8m) down a cliff face.

The 19-year-old climber banged his head after falling at Shepherds Crag in Borrowdale, Cumbria, in the Lake District on Saturday.

He was in and out of consciousness following the fall.

Keswick Mountain Rescue sent 16 team members to the scene after being called out to the incident just after 4pm. Air and road ambulances also attended.

Mountain rescuers and ambulance staff attend to a climber after he fell 26ft from a cliff face. (Keswick Mountain Rescue Team)
The climber's helmet was left bloodied and battered after his fall in the Lake District. (Keswick Mountain Rescue Team)

In a Facebook post, Keswick RMT published images of the rescue, along with the climber’s bloodstained helmet, with his permission.

Read more: 'Rogue' black holes could be hurtling through space

In the post, the rescue team wrote: “Unfortunately, he hit the ground and was in and out of consciousness after a bang to the head.

“Due to the nature of the injury, air and road ambulance teams attended and treated the casualty.

“Keswick RMT packaged the man in a vacuum mattress and stretchered him to a road ambulance which then took him to the Cumberland Infirmary at Carlisle.”

The teenage climber was carried to safety. (Keswick Mountain Rescue Team)

It said it received news 24 hours later that the man had been discharged from hospital with bruises to his shoulder and a cut to the head.

“He was remarkably lucky,” Keswick RMT said. “The climber gave us permission to share the photo of his helmet and this may have saved his life or prevented a life changing injury.”

Read more: New Zealand citizens returning home may be quarantined in campervans

Facebook user Will Lewallen later commented under the rescue team’s post: “This was me, I am all fine now thanks to everyone on the scene and all the emergency responders. Please wear your helmets people!!!”

Members of the rescue team wore personal protective equipment to prevent the spread of coronavirus.