TEPCO chief vows cost cuts amid $3.68 bn loss

Tokyo Electric Power's chief on Wednesday vowed "nothing was sacred" in his bid to chop costs as the operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant posted a $3.68 billion quarterly loss.

The giant utility, which was effectively nationalised Tuesday after receiving 1.0 trillion yen ($12.8 billion) of taxpayer money to stay afloat, posted a net loss of 288.4 billion yen in the three months to June.

That was about half TEPCO's loss in the same three months a year ago, the first full quarter after the accident at Fukushima sparked the worst nuclear crisis in a generation.

But the embattled firm, one of the world's biggest utilities, forecast a tough year ahead as it bears the brunt of massive compensation costs and higher power generation expenses, even after the bailout and a customer rate hike.

Last month, the government allowed TEPCO to raise household electricity rates in its service area, including Tokyo, by an average 8.46 percent.

"While we truly appreciate it, we are sorry that we had had to ask the public to carry the burden," TEPCO President Naomi Hirose told a press briefing in Tokyo on Wednesday.

The firm's chief added that: "We will continue to do whatever we can to reduce costs. We are reviewing everything, and nothing is sacred."

Sales in the latest quarter rose 15.6 percent from a year ago to 1.31 trillion yen, the firm said.

For the current year to March 2013, TEPCO said it expected a net loss of 160 billion yen on sales of 5.97 trillion yen, up 11.7 percent on sales last year.

The company has previously said it hoped to swing back to profit in the fiscal year ending March 2014.

The latest results come after TEPCO posted a massive 781 billion yen annual loss, after it had to boost imports of fossil fuels to make up for a nuclear power shortfall when Japan switched off its stable of nuclear reactors.

Only two reactors have since been restarted.

Hirose on Wednesday said TEPCO's fuel costs have skyrocketed in the wake of the crisis, shooting up about 54 percent from a year ago.

TEPCO is also facing massive compensation claims stemming from the disaster.

Japan was plunged into the world's worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl after TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant was hit by a killer tsunami triggered by a huge earthquake on March 11, 2011.

The power station went through meltdowns and explosions, contaminating vast swathes of farmland and forcing tens of thousands of people from their homes.

The clean-up is expected to take decades, with scientists warning that some settlements may have to be abandoned.

The public bailout that TEPCO received on Tuesday gives the government a 50.11 percent stake in the utility's voting rights.

And the deal has an option which allows the Nuclear Damage Liability Facilitation Fund to raise that stake up to nearly 76 percent to impose stronger control if TEPCO fails to push reforms.

However, there are plans to return the utility to "a purely private company in course of time", industry minister Yukio Edano said Tuesday.

The company's president on Tuesday said TEPCO had won a "last chance" to transform itself into a "New TEPCO" and it would make "utmost efforts" to compensate those affected by the meltdown disaster.

The firm's shares closed 2.29 percent lower at 128 yen in Tokyo trade on Wednesday, with the earnings released after markets closed.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options