Thailand braced for key court ruling

Hundreds of police surrounded Thailand's Constitutional Court Friday as the country braced for a crunch ruling that threatens to rip open the kingdom's bitter political divisions.

The court is set to rule on whether plans by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's party to amend the constitution -- drawn up under the military junta that deposed her divisive brother Thaksin -- are legal.

The opposition Democrats, which were swept out of power in a landslide election win for Yingluck last year, claim that the efforts to amend the constitution signal a threat to the deeply-revered monarchy.

A verdict against the ruling party could lead to its dissolution, risking fresh conflict in a nation that has been racked by bloody street rallies since huge protests helped topple Thaksin from power in 2006.

Yingluck -- who would not necessarily be removed from power even if her party is dissolved -- called for calm on the eve of the decision, urging people from all sides "not to use violence".

Several anti-Thaksin protesters gathered outside the court on Friday, while a faction of the rival "Red Shirts" -- mainly rural, working class supporters of the fugitive former premier -- also held a small rally near parliament.

National police spokesman Major General Piya Utayo said four companies -- around 600 officers were deployed in and around the court, with a further nine companies on standby nearby.

"The situation in and around the court is peaceful," he said.

Constitutional Court officials said eight judges -- two of whom were involved in drafting the constitution -- began deliberations on Friday morning.

Two pro-Thaksin premiers were forced from office in 2008 in judicial rulings, making way for the Democrats, who are backed by the military and Bangkok elite, to take power in a parliamentary vote.

Yingluck's Puea Thai party swept to power last year on a wave of Thaksin support following deadly 2010 Red Shirt street protests, promising to amend the constitution that was drawn up in 2007.

The party is trying to amend the section of Thailand's charter governing the process for changing the constitution in order to allow it to set up a redrafting committee and to put their recommendations to a referendum.

But the Democrats, who also fear the move could be used to open the way for Thaksin's return, allege the underlying motivation threatens Thailand's system of constitutional monarchy.

Observers said the court could decide to throw out the complaint, to rule against the party -- which denies any intent to undermine the royal family -- or to find a compromise agreement that would limit the extent of future revisions to the constitution.

Thailand expert Thitinan Pongsudhirak, of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, said there had been a "systematic effort to undermine and subvert democratic institutions" in recent years.

"In previous judicial dissolutions, the grounds were questionable but less bogus. This time... the verdict is rooted in presumptions about the future which has not happened," he said.

"There will be a severe backlash if we see yet another repeat of the usurpation of electoral rule and this time the court is in a much weaker position."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • A trying Heat season now hitting the stretch run
    A trying Heat season now hitting the stretch run

    MIAMI (AP) — To say the Miami Heat have been presented with a new problem every day since last season ended, that would be an exaggeration. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options