RESIDENTS in Northern Samar, Sorsogon, Albay, Catanduanes and Camarines Sur have been advised to take appropriate actions as Typhoon Tisoy has slightly intensified, said the state weather bureau Monday, December 2.
The typhoon is forecast to make landfall over Albay-Sorsogon area between Monday night, December 2, and early morning Tuesday, December 3.
As of 5 p.m. Monday, the southern eyewall of Tisoy is hitting Northern Samar, bringing intense rainfall and violent winds over the province.
The eyewall will also hit Sorsogon, Albay, Catanduanes, and Camarines Sur in the next 3 hours, said the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).
Pagasa said the center of Tisoy was located at 155 kilometers east of Juban, Sorsogon, as of 4 p.m. Monday. It is moving west at 15 kilometers per hour (km/h), with maximum sustained winds of up to 155 km/h near its center and gusts up to 190 km/h.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) Numbers 3, 2, and 1 have been raised in the following areas:
TCWS Number 3
* Camarines Sur
* Camarines Norte
* Masbate, including Ticao and Burias Islands
* Southern portion of Quezon (Perez, Alabat, Quezon, Atimonan, Padre Burgos, Agdangan, Plaridel, Unisan, Pitogo, Gumaca, Lopez, Macalelon, General Luna, Calauag, Guinayangan, Tagkawayan, Buenavista, Mulanay, San Narciso, San Francisco, and San Andres)
* Northern Samar
* Northern portion of Eastern Samar (Can-avid, Dolores, Maslog, Oras, Arteche, Jipapad, San Policarpio)
* The northern portion of Samar (Catbalogan, Jiabong, Motiong, Paranas, San Jose de Buan, San Jorge, Pagsanghan, Tarangnan, Sta. Margarita, Gandara, Matuguinao, Calbayog, Tagapul-an, Almagro, and Sto. Niño)
TCWS Number 2
* Metro Manila
* Nueva Ecija
* Southern Aurora (Dipaculao, Maria Aurora, Baler, San Luis, and Dingalan)
* The rest of Quezon, including Polillo Islands
* Oriental Mindoro
* Occidental Mindoro
* Calamian Islands
* Rest of Eastern Samar and Samar
* Northern portion of Negros Occidental (Talisay, Calatrava, Silay, Enrique B. Magalona, Victorias, Manapla, Cadiz, Sagay, Escalante, and Toboso)
* Northern Cebu (Daanbantayan, Bantayan, Madridejos, Santa Fe, Medellin, Bogo City, San Remigio, Tabogon, Tabuelan, Tuburan, Carmen Borbon, Sogod, Catmon, Asturias, and Camotes Islands)
* Northern portion of Leyte (Baybay, Mahaplag, Abuyog, Javier, Macarthur, Mayorga, La Paz, Dulag, Albuera, Barauen, Julita, Tolosa, Tanauan, Tabontabon, Dagami, Pastrana, Palo, Sta. Fe, Tacloban, Alangalang, Jaro, Babatngon, San Miguel, Barugo, Tunga, Carigara, Capoocan, Leyte, Calubian, San Isidro, Tabango, Villaba, Kananga, Matag-ob, Palompon, Isabel, Merida, and Ormoc)
TCWS Number 1
* Southern Isabela (Palanan, Dinapique, San Mariano, San Guillermo, Benito Soliven, Naguilian, Reina Mercedes, Luna, Aurora, Cabatuan, San Mateo, Cauayan City, Alicia, Angadanan, Ramon, San Isidro, Echague, Cordon, Santiago City, Jones, and San Agustin)
* Mountain Province
* Nueva Vizcaya
* Ilocos Sur
* La Union
* Rest of Aurora
* Rest of Negros Occidental
* Metro Cebu (Balamban, Toledo City, Pinamungahan, Aloguinsan, Naga City, Talisay City, Cordova, Minglanilla, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, Cebu City, Consolacion, Liloan, Compostela, and Danao City)
* Rest of Leyte
* Southern Leyte
Pagasa said frequent to continuous heavy to intense rains will be experienced between Monday evening and Tuesday morning over Bicol Region, Northern Samar, Southern Quezon, Marinduque, and Romblon, while Samar, Eastern Samar, Rizal, rest of Quezon, Laguna, and Oriental Mindoro will experience frequent to continuous heavy rains.
It added that moderate to intermittent heavy rains will be experienced over Metro Manila, Occidental Mindoro, the rest of Calabarzon, Cagayan, Isabela, Aurora, and the rest of Eastern Visayas.
The weather bureau said between Tuesday morning and evening, frequent to continuous heavy to intense rains will be experienced over Calabarzon, Central Luzon, Metro Manila, Mindoro Provinces, Marinduque, and Romblon, while occasional to frequent heavy rains will be felt over Cagayan Valley, Cordillera Administrative Region, and Calamian Islands.
Residents in Aklan ,Capiz, and northern Antique will experience intermittent heavy rains, added Pagasa.
“Residents in the aforementioned areas, especially those living in areas identified to be highly or very highly susceptible to flooding and rain-induced landslides, are advised to take appropriate actions, coordinate with local disaster risk reduction and management offices, and continue monitoring for updates,” Pagasa said.
It also warned of a possible storm surge of more than three meters over several coastal areas in Catanduanes, Camarines Norte, and Camarines Sur.
The weather bureau also said that a three-meter storm is possible over several coastal areas in Batangas, Quezon, Albay, and Marinduque.
“Sea travel is risky over the seaboards of areas under TCWS, the seaboards of Northern Luzon, the western seaboard of Palawan, central seaboards of Visayas, and the northern and eastern seaboards of Mindanao due to prevailing or forecast rough sea conditions which may be perilous for maritime activities, especially for those using small sea vessels,” it said.
Pagasa added that gusty conditions may also be experienced in areas in northern Luzon that are not under any TCWS (especially in the coastal and mountainous zones) due to the Northeast Monsoon. (EZN/SunStar Philippines)