Top officials meet as N.Korea nuclear test feared

Senior US, South Korean and Japanese officials have begun talks on North Korea and other issues amid concerns the communist state may be planning another nuclear test, according to Seoul's foreign ministry.

The one-day talks involve Glyn Davies, the US special envoy for North Korea policy, Lim Sung-Nam, South Korea's top nuclear envoy, and his Japanese counterpart Shinsuke Sugiyama.

Expectations of a third atomic test by Pyongyang have grown since the United Nations Security Council condemned the North's failed long-range rocket launch on April 13 and tightened existing sanctions.

The North said its aim was only to put a peaceful satellite into orbit but the UN said it breached a ban on testing ballistic missile technology.

North Korea responded with nuclear tests after the UN imposed sanctions against its rocket launches in 2006 and 2009.

Satellite photos last month showed work under way at its atomic test site but gave no indication of whether or when a test would be staged.

"In response to the failed launch, the international community... has been able to send a clear and consistent message to Pyongyang that North Korea should refrain from any further provocations," Lim said in opening remarks quoted by Yonhap news agency.

"There will be a different path for them if they make the right decision," Lim said, adding he hoped the Monday talks could "lead North Korea to the right side of peace".

Group of Eight leaders expressed "deep concerns" Saturday at the North's "provocative actions" and condemned the rocket launch.

"We affirm our will to call on the UN Security Council to take action, in response to additional DPRK (North Korean) acts, including ballistic missile launches and nuclear tests," they said in a statement after a summit.

Davies will leave for Beijing on Tuesday, where he plans to meet China's chief nuclear envoy Wu Dawei, and will go on to Tokyo Wednesday.

A US-North Korean deal announced on February 29 had raised hopes of progress under Pyongyang's new leader Kim Jong-Un.

The North pledged to suspend uranium enrichment and impose a moratorium on nuclear and missile tests in return for 240,000 tonnes of US food aid.

Pyongyang insisted its launch was not a missile test but Washington suspended the food aid, saying the North could not be trusted.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile
    Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile

    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago believes granting Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile house arrest, while former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo remains under hospital detention, will violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution. “That’s already a violation of the equal protection of the law,” she said. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

  • 8 of 10 cities most at risk from natural disasters located in Phl – study
    8 of 10 cities most at risk from natural disasters located in Phl – study

    Eight of 10 world cities most exposed to natural hazards are in the Philippines and more than half of the 100 cities most exposed to earthquakes, storms and other disasters are in four Asian nations, according to a research. The study, published on Wednesday by risk analysis firm Verisk Maplecroft, analyzed the threat posed by storms, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, fires, volcanoes and landslides in more than 1,300 cities. The study found that the 10 cities most at risk are Port Vila in …

  • Ex-crew recognizes photos of sunken Japanese battleship
    Ex-crew recognizes photos of sunken Japanese battleship

    TOKYO (AP) — A former crewmember on a Japanese battleship that sank during World War II said Thursday he recognized photos of wreckage discovered this week off the Philippines by a team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options