Top Philippine telcos ordered to refund subscribers

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has ordered the Philippines' top telecommunications firms to refund millions of subscribers after finding that the telcos have been overcharging customers for text messages.

The order, one of the three directives issued by the NTC yesterday, is effective immediately.

"These orders are immediately executory upon receipt, but the telcos have the right to appeal," Dennis Babaran, NTC legal director, said at a press briefing yesterday.

Estimates by the Philippine Daily Inquirer showed that Smart Communications, affiliate Sun Cellular and Globe Telecom may have to return at least 1.42 billion pesos (US$34 million) to their subscribers.

The telcos have been collecting 20 centavos more (1 peso instead of 80 centavos) for each off-net text message, or those sent from one network to another, since December last year, the NTC said in a ruling.

Text messages between subscribers of the same network and those under unlimited or "bucket-priced" offers are not covered by the order.

About 20 million off-net messages are sent every day, based on 2010 records, which are the latest the NTC has. This is just 1 per cent of the 2 billion text messages that were sent daily on average that year in the Philippines, for years considered the world's texting capital.

Assuming that daily text message volumes have not changed since 2010, the telcos stand to pay at least 1.42 billion pesos to refund 20 centavos for every regularly-priced off-net text message.

Globe, Smart and Sun Cellular had a combined subscriber base of 100.65 million at the end of September 2012. This translates to about one active SIM for every Filipino, although a growing number of users now carry at least two accounts at the same time.

Smart and Sun refused to comment on the matter, but said the companies would explore possible legal remedies.

Globe said the NTC move could spell the end of unlimited services, which in the company's opinion had made text messages affordable more than any government-mandated reduction in rates could.

"Since the very beginning of the case, we have clearly stated that SMS is a deregulated service and telcos have the right to set the retail price of this service," said Froilan Castelo, head of Globe corporate and legal affairs.

"In fact, this has worked for the benefit of the consumer because the prices have gone down drastically with the advent of customisation, bucket and combo promos, and unlimited services," Castelo said.

Extra prepaid credits

Refunds for prepaid subscribers could be given in the form of extra prepaid credits that could be used for calls, text messages, and data services, the NTC said. For postpaid users, the telcos could offer rebates to cover the refund.

In three separate orders, the NTC directed the telcos to reduce the maximum price of text messages from 1 peso to 80 centavos each, stemming from the reduction of interconnection charges to 15 centavos from the previous 35 centavos.

The reduction of interconnection charges was ordered by the NTC in December last year. The telcos agreed to reduce interconnection charges but refused to pass on savings to consumers, the NTC said.

This meant that text message prices remained at 1 peso each, instead of the NTC's intent of reducing it to 80 centavos.

Apart from the refund, the telcos were also ordered to pay a fine of 200 pesos per day from Dec 1, 2011, until the companies lower their text message charges by 20 pesos per off-net text message.

Circular order defied

The NTC said the telcos had defied Memorandum Circular No. 02-10-2011, which took effect on December 1 last year. The circular was aimed at making text messaging more affordable to the public, pursuant to directives from the Office of the President.

While text messaging was considered a value-added service (VAS), which the telcos technically are not required to deliver, nothing in the law prohibited the NTC from regulating text message rates, the industry regulator said.

A ruling to order refunds, this time covering off-net voice calls, may also be released within the year, said Edgardo Cabarios, head of the NTC's Common Carrier's Authorisation Division.

Rexmond Fang, a sales executive at a multinational dairy company operating in the country, said the NTC decision was a welcome relief for subscribers who have been paying 1 peso per text message for over a decade.

Despite the popularity of alternative modes of communications such as social networking sites, profits from text message services make up the bulk of telecom company earnings in the Philippines.

"It's really about time that the government flexes its muscles against telecom firms," Fang said.

But Fang, 44, said he was worried about the financial strain that the NTC order might have on telcos.

"There's been a lot of talk in the news about bad service by companies. But can telcos still push through with their upgrades if they have to pay these refunds?" he said.

Anthony Ian Cruz, president of consumer group TXTPower, shared Fang's sentiments, saying it was refreshing to see the NTC finally enforcing its own rules.

"Those interconnection charges are the biggest stumbling block for lower text message rates. They have been charging us 1 peso for more than a decade," Cruz said in an interview.

"The next logical step is for inter-network messages to be cheaper," he said. "This should be the last straw to number portability," he added, referring to one of the group's previous initiatives for companies to allow subscribers to switch from one network to another without changing numbers.

Japan Airlines passenger service agent Janina Amonte, a frequent subscriber of unlimited promos offered by telcos, said the NTC's order would have little impact on her.

"It's not a big deal for me because I'm used to unli promos. But I wish they did this before because I used to text my friends a lot and there weren't any unli promos then," she said in an interview.

The 25-year-old said she was spending much less every month on cell phone bills, but was still able to stay in touch with friends and relatives.

Providing cellular phone service is a profitable business.

Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT), the parent firm of Smart and Sun, posted a net income of 28.7 billion pesos in the January to September period. Globe's net income for the period was at 8.7 billion pesos.

In 2011, PLDT's wireless revenue amounted to 102.1 billion pesos, of which 99 billion pesos was accounted for by Smart. Globe's revenue reached an all-time high of 67.8 billion pesos last year and its net income rose to 9.8 billion pesos.

*US$1= 41 pesos

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile
    Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile

    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago believes granting Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile house arrest, while former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo remains under hospital detention, will violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution. “That’s already a violation of the equal protection of the law,” she said. …

  • 8 of 10 cities most at risk from natural disasters located in Phl – study
    8 of 10 cities most at risk from natural disasters located in Phl – study

    Eight of 10 world cities most exposed to natural hazards are in the Philippines and more than half of the 100 cities most exposed to earthquakes, storms and other disasters are in four Asian nations, according to a research. The study, published on Wednesday by risk analysis firm Verisk Maplecroft, analyzed the threat posed by storms, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, fires, volcanoes and landslides in more than 1,300 cities. The study found that the 10 cities most at risk are Port Vila in …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

  • UNA hits PNP selection process
    UNA hits PNP selection process

    The United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) hit yesterday the apparent machinations in the selection of the new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief. Navotas Rep. Toby Tiangco, UNA interim president, said the administration and the ruling Liberal Party (LP) are perpetuating the bata-bata or patronage system in the selection process of the police chief. “They will start this by maneuvering the appointment of Gen. Garbo as PNP chief,” said Tiangco, referring to one of the top contenders for PNP …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options