Eight kicked out as badminton scandal rocks Games

Eight badminton players were disqualified from the Olympics after a scandal over "throwing" matches as British Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins powered his way to cycling gold.

Four pairs in the women's doubles competition -- one from China, one from Indonesia and two from South Korea -- were barred after being hit by disciplinary charges of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) took action.

The BWF confirmed that the eight had been disqualified for trying to lose matches in the round robin phase to manipulate the knockout draw.

A last-ditch appeals process was also rejected in the minutes leading up to the scheduled quarter-final start time.

"The appeals committee chairman rejected the cases... the decision of the disciplinary commission stands," said BWF secretary-general Thomas Lund.

The players at the heart of the scandal had been charged with "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

They were allegedly attempting to manipulate the final standings in the first-round group stage, with two pairs who had already qualified apparently wanting to lose to secure a favourable draw in the next round.

The eight are Chinese are top seed Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli, South Korea's Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung as well as Jung Kyung-Eun and Kim Ha-Na and Indonesian pair Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii.

One of the disqualified players, China's Yu, later announced she is quitting the sport, saying her dreams had been "heartlessly shattered".

"This is my last time competing. Goodbye Badminton World Federation, goodbye my beloved badminton," she announced on her Weibo, or microblog, late on Wednesday.

The Group A match at Wembley Arena between Chinese top seeds Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli and unseeded South Korean pair Jung Kyung and Kim Ha-Na late Tuesday came under scrutiny by the BWF after the Chinese lost heavily.

The longest rally in the match was just four shots.

Their defeat meant Yu and Wang avoided playing fellow Chinese pair Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei in the quarter-finals.

London Olympics chairman Sebastian Coe described the scandal as "depressing" and "unacceptable", but officials said spectators who had paid to watch the farcical matches would not be refunded.

"It's depressing," Coe said. "Who wants to sit through something like that? It is unacceptable."

Leading badminton figures welcomed the disqualifications in a sport not known for its iron-handed discipline.

"As a sportsman, that is really wrong," Charoen Wattanasin, executive board member of the BWF, and a Thailand Olympic Committee vice-president, told AFP.

"Once you are on the court, like it or not, you have to try to win. That is why the spectators paid their money.

"Sooner or later something had to be done. I see the motive. I feel sorry for what happened. I'm not condemning anyone. But the disciplinary committee had to do something."

Away from the scandal, Great Britain finally opened their gold medal account with rowers Helen Glover and Heather Stanning roared to victory by a huge crowd at Eton Dorney to take gold in the women's pairs.

But they were soon upstaged by Tour de France winner Wiggins, who became Britain's most successful Olympian with a resounding victory in the time trial race held in bright sunshine at Hampton Court, the former residence of King Henry VIII. Wiggins now has seven medals, one more than rower Steve Redgrave.

American cyclist Kristin Armstrong claimed the women's title for a second successive Games while Qin Kai and Luo Yutong won the men's 3m synchronised springboard diving gold to make it four Chinese victories from four events.

Later Wednesday, world champion swimmer James Magnussen goes for gold in the 100m freestyle, admitting he got the reality check he needed after Australia's humiliating flop in the 4x100m freestyle relay.

The 21-year-old world champion nicknamed "The Missile" admitted he was on a steep learning curve at his first Games.

"Everyone says it and I hear it so often, that the Olympics is a different pressure and I used to think 'yeah'... but it's true," he admitted.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
    Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour

    A solar-powered plane made a third successful test flight in the United Arab Emirates on Monday ahead of a planned round-the-world tour to promote alternative energy. Organisers hope that Solar Impulse 2 may head off around the globe as early as Saturday but caution that the launch is dependent on the weather, even in the relatively cloudless Gulf. The hour-long test flight was the plane's third from the UAE capital Abu Dhabi's small Al-Bateen airport, but the first for Solar Impulse chairman …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Jordan, 2 other NBA owners join Forbes' billionaire list
    Jordan, 2 other NBA owners join Forbes' billionaire list

    Michael Jordan and two other NBA owners have reached new heights, making Forbes world list of billionaires. Forbes released its list on Monday and noted that Jordan's net worth is estimated at $1 billion, ... …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options