Man City on verge of English Premier League title

Manchester City moved to within touching distance of a first English league title in 44 years after Yaya Toure scored twice in a 2-0 win at Newcastle United.

Victory left leaders City in front of reigning Premier League champions Manchester United -- who beat Swansea City 2-0 later on Sunday -- on goal difference with just one round of fixtures remaining.

City have a goal-difference advantage of eight over United and if they beat Queens Park Rangers at Eastlands a week on Sunday, they will be all but assured of the title.

Sir Alex Ferguson's United side would need to thrash Sunderland at the Stadium of Light to stand a chance of retaining their crown.

At St James' Park, Ivory Coast midfielder Toure opened the scoring for City in the 70th minute when he struck a curling shot from the edge of the box that beat Newcastle keeper Tim Krul.

Last crowned champions of England in 1968, City wasted several chances before Toure finished off a counter-attack a minute from full-time to seal victory.

However, Toure warned that there was still work to be done.

"It's not finished," he told Sky Sports. "We have one game left and we have to be careful as QPR are fighting to stay in the Premier League.

"This is brilliant for us, though."

City manager Roberto Mancini, whose side were eight points behind United just a few weeks ago, added: "I hope (this is enough) but I think that it is not."

Defeat left Newcastle in fifth place -- just outside the top-four spot they need to have a chance of Champions League qualification.

Before kick-off at Old Trafford, United manager Ferguson admitted City had "probably two" hands on the Premier League trophy.

And after seeing his side beat Swansea, Ferguson was left hoping former United striker and ex-City manager Mark Hughes, the QPR coach, could do the champions a favour.

"QPR need a point; you never know," he said. "I just wish Sparky (Hughes) was playing."

Paul Scholes -- brought out of retirement earlier this season -- gave United a 28th-minute lead after turning in a shot from fellow midfielder Michael Carrick.

Four minutes before the break United had a second when Ashley Young's low strike beat Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm.

Elsewhere, 10-man Tottenham Hotspur came from behind to claim a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa, who edged nearer top-flight survival.

Victory would have seen fourth-placed Tottenham leapfrog north London rivals Arsenal into third spot and a guaranteed place in the first round of next season's Champions League.

But they fell behind in the 35th minute to Villa midfielder Ciaran Clark's deflected shot.

Early in the second half, Tottenham's Danny Rose was sent off for a two-footed challenge on former Spurs defender Alan Hutton.

However, Spurs were level in the 62nd minute when Emmanuel Adebayor scored from the penalty spot after Richard Dunne fouled Sandro.

At the bottom of the table, QPR moved two points clear of the relegation zone after Djibril Cisse's 89th-minute winner secured a 1-0 win at home to Stoke City.

Hughes, looking ahead to the City match, said: "It would be a fantastic story if we were able to go there and get something. They are going for titles and we are trying to stay in this league."

Bolton Wanderers remained in the bottom three after a 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion.

Martin Petrov's penalty and a Billy Jones own goal put Bolton 2-0 up but late goals from Chris Brunt and James Morrison saw the Baggies draw level.

"We feel we've dropped two points," said Bolton manager Owen Coyle. "We need to go to Stoke and win the game."

Elsewhere, Fulham beat mid-table rivals Sunderland 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

United States forward Clint Dempsey gave the Cottagers a 12th-minute lead and no sooner had Phil Bardsley equalised then Fulham's Moussa Dembele scored their second.

Already relegated Wolverhampton Wanderers were held to a goalless draw at home to Everton.

Second-bottom Blackburn Rovers play Wigan Athletic -- who are not yet out of danger -- on Monday, while Tuesday sees a repeat of the FA Cup final when Chelsea, 2-1 winners at Wembley on Saturday, are away to Liverpool.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • High spirits battle: Asia tycoons vie for cognac maker Louis Royer

    * Louis Royer valued at about $150 mln - sources * Suntory selling cognac maker as part of portfolio reshuffle * Asia cognac demand seen rising 13 pct in 2015-19 -Euromonitor By Denny Thomas and Khettiya Jittapong HONG KONG/BANGKOK, May 30 (Reuters) - Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi is considering buying cognac maker Louis Royer, people familiar with the matter said, potentially locking horns with a Philippine tycoon for the French firm amid a forecast rebound in Asian demand for …

  • OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF
    OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF

    The Philippine government is asking the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to finally complete the tripartite review process of the implementation of the 1996 peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). The review – snagged  for several years as government had its hands full with the peace process with rival faction Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) – tackles how the 1996 peace pact with the MNLF has been implemented and centers on the three remaining …

  • Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe
    Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe

    Eight of the resource persons ordered arrested by the Senate finally attended the 21st public hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee into the alleged anomalies involving Vice President Jejomar Binay, but the proceedings turned out to be a review of matters previously presented. For over three hours, the subcommittee heard presentations regarding the alleged hidden assets of Binay and the issue regarding the supposed P200 million in kickbacks he received from a deal between the Boy …

  • DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe
    DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) is wrapping up its investigation into the “massacre” of 44 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A joint team of prosecutors and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) investigators is about to finish the second part,” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has told congressmen. She was responding to questions raised by former senior police officer and now Rep. Samuel Pagdilao of party-list …

  • APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism
    APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism

    BALANGA CITY, Bataan – More than 2,000 delegates of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and international media outfits are expected to enjoy the splendid coastline of Bagac town, which faces the West Philippine Sea, as they converge for a workshop in this province next month. …

  • DOST opens P54-M research facility
    DOST opens P54-M research facility

    A P54-million research and development facility of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) was recently opened in Bicutan, Taguig for scientists and researchers to develop technology and techniques to allow Filipino fashion and clothing designers and manufacturers to produce more mainstream products from local, tropical fabrics like piña, banana and abaca. Science Secretary Mario Montejo said the Innovation Center for Yarns and Textiles (ICYT) is the DOST’s flagship effort at reviving …

  • DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights
    DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights

    Philippine embassy officials in Doha have raised their concern with Qatari authorities over coercion and human rights violations in the alleged forcing of three Filipino workers convicted of spying to provide information and confess to the crime. Speaking to reporters, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Charles Jose yesterday said the embassy has raised the matter during several high-level meetings with Qatari officials and the national human rights committee in Qatar. “Our embassy …

  • US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl
    US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl

    US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told his Philippine counterpart on Wednesday that Washington’s pledge to defend the Pacific nation remains “ironclad” and called for an end to land reclamation in the South China Sea, officials said. In talks in Hawaii with Voltaire Gazmin, Philippine secretary of national defense, the Pentagon chief “reaffirmed” the strong ties between the two countries and discussed territorial disputes in the contested waters of the South China Sea, where Beijing has been …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options