TRB Pushes Adoption Of E-Wallets

MANILA, Philippines - The Toll Regulatory Board (TRB) has urged operators of toll roads to follow the Cavite Expressway (Cavitex) in adapting the use of electronic-wallets for their cashless toll collection systems.

TRB Executive Director Edmund Reyes said the e-tap technology that Cavitex is set to implement next week is faster than cash payment like the existing EC tag and E-Pass technology, but the e-tap card that motorists will buy to avail of the technology is more affordable than the transponder gadgets used for the existing technology.

Reyes said that as soon as all toll operators adapt the e-tag technology in their toll collection system, they can already interoperate, similar to the banks with automated teller machines.

''Even if toll operators have different providers, an independent clearing house, which collects the toll and distributes the payment to its members like Megalink or Bancnet to its member-banks, will be needed to interoperate,'' he said.

Earlier last week, the Cavitex Infrastructure Corporation (CIC) and its technology supplier Malaysian-based RTS Technology Sdn Bhd presented the e-tap card, ahead of the technology's pilot launching on July 16.

The e-tap card is a reloadable electronic purse/wallet that uses a contactless technology similar to a credit card.

The motorist will only tap the e-tap card in readers installed at dedicated lanes at toll plazas.

A beep sound will confirm that the toll value was deducted to the e-tap stored value card.

The reader will show the card's load balance as it activates the gate barrier to let the motorist pass.

CIC president Andrew Deyto said motorists normally spend at least eight seconds in paying for cash. But transaction with e-tap card will only entail two to three seconds.

''This facility is expected to enhance the speed of paying at the toll ways and is also very convenient because motorists are no longer needed to prepare for small change or wait in queue at the cash lane to complete the transaction,'' he said.

Deyto said the e-tap card is also more affordable compared to the gadget that motorists have to buy to use e-pass or EC tag in other expressways.

He said the e-tap card will cost between P15 to P25 and can eventually be made available for free.

Deyto said they will issue 3,000 pieces of e-tag cards for free to Cavitex users on July 16, for the pilot launching of the technology.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash
    Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash

    Manny Pacquiao's face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero's "fight of the century" nears. Pacmania is sweeping the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. Of course, it's the fight of the century," Manila film producer Lucky Blanco told AFP. …

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options