THE Regional Trial Court in Toledo City issued a 20-day temporary restraining order against the Tuburan Municipal Government from enforcing a resolution that would allow it to take over a private water utility firm.
The petition was filed by Savs Tuburan Water Corp.
Tuburan Mayor Danilo Diamante, for his part, said he would respect the court’s decision. But he said he and the town’s lawyers will be in court on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020, to present their evidence.
“Our constituents have been suffering from their (Savs) lack of proper water services. Though we welcome the court’s decision, we plan to contest it on behalf of our constituents,” he said.
On June 29, the Municipal Council issued Resolution 2020-137 authorizing the mayor to take over the operation and management of Savs Tuburan Water Corp. and allow the office of the municipal treasurer to receive payments from the firm’s consumers.
Some consumers had held a rally outside the firm’s office, calling for a return of the water system to the Municipal Government.
They claimed that Savs didn’t hold its end of the bargain with the Municipal Government, which was to improve the town’s water supply and to expand service coverage in the last three years.
The Municipal Council said the water firm failed to fulfill its obligations.
In a letter to Savs in September last year, Municipal Councilor Rodillo Dela Cerna said that aside from providing insufficient supply of water, some of its water sources tested positive for E. Coli contamination. (JKV)