Fifteen areas in the Visayas and Mindanao regions were placed under storm alerts as tropical depression Quinta intensified into a storm on Christmas day, the state weather bureau said Tuesday morning.
In its 11 a.m. bulletin, PAGASA said Quinta was located 260 km east of Guian, Eastern Samar, packing maximum sustained winds of 65 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 80 kph.
It was forecast to move west at 19 kph.
Related News: Potential cyclone may enter PAR late Sunday – PAGASA
PAGASA said Quinta is expected to be in the vicinity of Leyte by Wednesday morning, and in the vicinity of Coron, Palawan by Thursday morning.
By Friday morning, Quinta is expected to be 450 km west of Coron, Palawan. Under Public Storm Signal 2
(winds of 61-100 kph expected within the next 24 hours) are:
Eastern Samar Leyte Southern Leyte Dinagat Province
Under Public Storm Signal 1
(winds of 45-60 kph expected within the next 36 hours) are:
Western Samar Biliran Bohol
Cebu including Camotes Island Surigao del Norte Surigao del Sur Agusan provinces
Misamis Oriental Camiguin
Other News: PNoy spends Christmas with family, watches sister Kris' MMFF flick
Some of these areas had already been battered by Typhoon Pablo, which has left more than 1,000 dead when it swept through parts of Mindanao and the Visayas before exiting through Palawan early this month. Areas within the 350-km diameter of Storm Quinta should expect rainfall of around 10 to 20 mm per hour (heavy to intense), PAGASA said.
"Residents living in low-lying and mountainous areas under public storm warning signal #2 and #1 are alerted against possible flashfloods and landslides," it said.
"Likewise, those living in coastal areas under public storm warning signal #2 are alerted against big waves or storm surges generated by this tropical cyclone," it added.
Other News: DOH: Fireworks injuries climb to 44, surpasses 2011 figures
PAGASA also warned small seacraft and fishing boats not to venture out into the seas off eastern Luzon, and over the eastern seaboard of Visayas and Mindanao. — RSJ/YA, GMA News
North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …