Suicide car bomb targets US in Pakistan

A suicide car bomber rammed a US consulate vehicle in Pakistan on Monday, killing at least two people in the deadliest attack targeting Americans in the country in more than two years.

Up to 19 people were wounded when the bomber struck during morning rush hour in the northwestern city of Peshawar near the office of the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and residential quarters used by the US consulate.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but it was at least the third time since April 2010 that the consulate and its staff have been targeted by militants linked to the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemned the "cowardly" attack in the frontline state of the war on Al-Qaeda and praised the response of the local authorities, while refusing to speculate who might be behind the blast.

There was some confusion over the death toll -- two bodies were recovered from the scene but several Pakistani sources including a provincial minister insisted four people died, including two Americans.

The US embassy issued an initial statement quoting State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland as saying "no US Consulate personnel" were killed, though two Americans and two Pakistanis working for the mission were wounded.

A spokeswoman later told AFP that the US embassy was "not aware" that any American citizens were killed.

But Mian Iftikhar Hussain, information minister for Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, said four people were killed in the attack on the two-vehicle convoy, two of them Americans.

"When the bombing occurred, people sitting in the rear vehicle removed the people from the front vehicle and took them back towards the American Club within a minute," he said. The American Club is a high-security guest house run by the US consulate for its staff.

A half-burnt US passport was recovered from one of the vehicles damaged in the blast, and local police station chief Shahjahan Afridi said investigators have found one of the suicide bomber's legs.

He said one of the bodies found at the scene has been identified as a local man while the other was burned beyond recognition.

"I have no information about foreigners because details have not been shared with us," he said.

Peshawar police chief Imtiaz Altaf said 19 people were wounded in the blast and that the bomber's vehicle had been packed with up to 110 kilos (240 pounds) of explosives, including more than 10 mortar shells.

Witness Mohammad Sadid said he was driving to work at his pharmacy when he heard a deafening blast on the opposite side of the road in University Town neighbourhood.

"It was so powerful that it jolted my car with a massive jerk. My head banged the steering wheel and the windshield. I couldn't understand what had happened. I saw a car on fire. It became a large fireball," he told AFP.

Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militant groups who are sworn enemies of the United States frequently carry out attacks and have strongholds in the tribal belt near Peshawar.

In May 2011, a Taliban bomb damaged a US consulate vehicle and wounded two US government employees in Peshawar, just days after American commandos killed Osama bin Laden in a raid on his Pakistan hideout.

In April 2010, a Taliban gun, grenade and double suicide car bomb attack on the consulate killed five Pakistanis but failed to penetrate the compound.

In February that year, three American military personnel were among eight killed in a bomb attack at the inauguration of a renovated girls' school in the northwestern district of Lower Dir.

Islamist militants have vowed to avenge American drone strikes targeting them in the semi-autonomous tribal areas and thwart a rumoured prospective Pakistani offensive in North Waziristan.

Although Islamabad is an ally of Washington, relations dramatically worsened last year after a CIA contractor killed two Pakistanis in the eastern city of Lahore and US special forces found and killed bin Laden.

The United States is currently weighing up whether to blacklist as terrorists the Al-Qaeda-linked Haqqani network, whose leaders are understood to be based in Pakistan, in a move that could further damage ties with Islamabad.

Anti-American sentiment in Pakistan has increased since Islamabad agreed in July to end a seven-month blockade on NATO goods crossing into Afghanistan. The blockade was imposed after botched US air strikes killed 24 Pakistani soldiers last November.

Also on Monday, gunmen in southwestern Pakistan attacked three NATO supply trucks, wounding three drivers and torching two of the lorries, police said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options