Two British teenagers killed in parasailing incident on Greek island Rhodes

Telegraph reporters
·2 min read
Kitesurfer on Prasonisi beach, Rhodes, Dodecanese - Getty 
Kitesurfer on Prasonisi beach, Rhodes, Dodecanese - Getty

Two British teenagers have been killed and a third seriously injured in a parasailing incident after the rope to their parachute snapped on the Greek island of Rhodes, authorities have said.

“A 13-year-old girl and a young man of 15 were found dead on the rocks near the city of Lindos in Rhodes,” the Greek coastguard’s press office said.

The coastguard and firefighters found another 15-year-old with serious injuries in the same area and took him to a hospital in Rhodes.

The three – two brothers and their cousin – were attached to a parachute pulled by a boat but the rope broke and the wind carried them into the rocks, Greek media reported.

The accident happened on Wednesday at about noon local time and the two people connected with the speedboat have been arrested. The boat’s captain and co-captain were earlier questioned by the police, the coastguard said. 

The harbour in Lindos, on Rhodes - GETTY IMAGES
The harbour in Lindos, on Rhodes - GETTY IMAGES

The Greek coastguard spokesman told the Press Association: "They were following a speedboat. The rope was cut.

"The boy and the girl were killed and another was heavily injured and brought to hospital.

"It is under investigation about how the rope was cut."

The bodies of the teenagers were found by members of the coastguard and the fire department who had been contacted by the person who controlled the boat, according to the spokesman.

He said: "The guy who controlled the speedboat and another person were arrested."

High winds had caused the group to drift towards the rocks, Greek media reported.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) confirmed it had been liaising with the family of the teenagers.

A FCDO spokesman said: "We are supporting the family of two British people following their death in Rhodes, and are in contact with the Greek authorities."