US, China call for tough new N. Korea sanctions

The United States and China on Tuesday called on the UN Security Council to sanction North Korean diplomats and "illicit" cash transfers to step up pressure on Pyongyang's nuclear program.

But the isolated North heightened tensions, threatening to scrap an armistice that halted the 1950-53 Korean War and warning of "strong" counter-measures against what it called US hostility.

US ambassador Susan Rice circulated the text of a sanctions resolution to the other 14 members of the Security Council and diplomats said a vote could be held on Thursday.

"For the first time ever, this resolution targets the illicit activities of North Korean diplomatic personnel, North Korean banking relationships, illicit transfers of bulk cash and new travel restrictions," Rice said after the closed meeting.

Since North Korea's nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009, the UN Security Council has already built up one of its toughest sanctions regimes ever imposed.

The resolution adds three new individuals and two firms to the nine people and 17 companies and state agencies subject to a UN travel ban and asset freeze, according to a UN diplomat with knowledge of the text.

It also makes it compulsory for states to stop financial transactions linked to North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile program and weapons exports.

This will include "bulk cash transfers" which the United States suspects are being increasingly used as the North finds contacts with the outside world cut off.

"They literally move money in suitcases full of cash," said the UN diplomat.

The resolution orders states to keep a special watch on North Korean diplomats.

"We know there have been diplomats out there cooking up deals, moving funds around and engaging in activities they shouldn't," said the diplomat.

The resolution makes searches of suspect ships compulsory and orders UN members to refuse access to planes suspected of carrying banned material to or from North Korea.

The Security Council would put new technology items on the banned trading list, in a bid to halt the North's uranium enrichment program, which is named for the first time in a resolution.

The proposed measures would "take the UN sanctions imposed on North Korea to the next level, breaking new ground and imposing significant new legal obligations," Rice told reporters after the closed council meeting.

Rice and Chinese ambassador Li Baodong have been negotiating the measures since the North staged its third nuclear test on February 12.

Diplomats said there had been "tough talks" between the two.

Li told reporters there had been "some different views" on how to respond but added that China supports Security Council action.

Beijing opposes North Korea's nuclear test and the international community has "got to bring an end to that program. That's why we need a strong signal," Li said.

"We think that action should be proportionate, should be balanced and focus on bringing down the tension and focusing on the diplomatic track," Li added.

The proposed resolution vows "further significant measures" if a new nuclear test or rocket launch is staged.

But ahead of the meeting North Korea threatened to scrap the historic armistice that has helped keep the peace on the Korean peninsula for the past six decades.

The North's military said in a statement that it would cut off a military hotline in the truce village of Panmunjom, which straddles the heavily fortified border with South Korea.

It also threatened "strong" additional countermeasures in response to what it called US hostility.

The armistice will be "completely" nullified from March 11, when military exercises by South Korean and US forces get into full swing, said the statement.

The annual Foal Eagle exercise began on March 1 and will run until April 30, involving more than 10,000 US troops and a far greater number of South Korean military.

Pyongyang habitually denounces such drills as a provocative rehearsal for invasion. The North has threatened in the past to scrap the armistice at times of high tension.

Pyongyang's February 12 nuclear test was the most powerful it has conducted yet. Diplomats and experts have said it is possible a new test could be staged.

Rice said "the more provocations that occur, the more isolated and impoverished, sadly, North Korea will become."

In 2006, the UN Security Council ordered an embargo on arms and material for ballistic missiles. It also banned exports of luxury goods. The new resolution names jewelry, luxury and racing cars and yachts that must be banned.

In 2009, the council banned North Korea's weapons exports and ordered all countries to search suspect shipments.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Honda Launches the New Generation BeAT Fi
    Honda Launches the New Generation BeAT Fi

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI) recently unveiled its latest offering, the New Generation BeAT-FI eSP Series at the Music Hall of the SM Mall of Asia. Daiki Mihara, President of Honda Philippines, Inc., is confident of the potentials of the New Generation BeAT-FI eSP Series in the local scooter market. “The New Generation BeAT-FI eSP Series is a reflection of Honda Philippines’ continued commitment to provide powerful, safe, fun, and worthwhile driving experience to the growing market of …

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options