UN sanctions N. Korea firms over rocket launch

The UN Security Council on Wednesday ordered sanctions against three "very significant" North Korean state firms over the country's failed rocket launch, US ambassador Susan Rice said.

But the assets freeze imposed against three enterprises said to have financed and organized the North's missile and nuclear programs could soon be followed by a new UN sanctions battle if the North carries out a feared nuclear bomb test.

The United States, European Union, South Korea and Japan had proposed adding 40 companies, organizations and individuals to the UN sanctions list. But China, the North's closest ally, rejected the bulk of the names, diplomats said.

The three sanctioned firms were identified as Amroggang Development Banking Corporation, which already faces US and European Union sanctions, Green Pine Associated Corporation, and Korea Heungjin Trading Company.

Amroggang was related to another bank, Tanchon, which plays a "key role" in North Korea's sales of ballistic missiles, including to Iran, said a sanctions committee statement.

Green Pine was said to be North Korea's "prime" arms dealer, responsible for about half of the country's arms exports. The statement added that Korea Heungjin was also suspected of trading in weapons with Iran and importing goods for missile designs.

"We view this as a strong and credible set of sanctions," US envoy Rice told reporters. China's UN ambassador Li Baodong also said he was "happy" that an agreement had been reached on the sanctions list.

"These new sanctions include the designation of, and the freezing of assets of three very significant North Korean entities, very much involved in their illicit missile and nuclear programs," Rice told reporters.

North Korea fired the rocket on April 13, but it disintegrated soon after launch and fell into the Yellow Sea.

Global condemnation followed, however, and the Security Council ordered the expansion of sanctions imposed after the isolated state's nuclear bomb tests in 2006 and 2009.

The Security Council is now braced for more difficult talks if North Korea stages a third bomb test. China would again be expected to protect its neighbor against international pressure for major sanctions, diplomats said.

North Korea has apparently finished preparations for a third test at its underground site at Punggye-ri, in the northeast of the country, and is awaiting a political decision to go ahead, according to South Korean nuclear experts.

Rice said the new sanctions will "increase North Korea's isolation" and showed the Security Council "is determined that there be consequences for this provocation and any future North Korean violation."

"We should not judge anything now," the Chinese ambassador told reporters when asked how the Security Council should react to an atomic test.

But US and European diplomats have indicated that they will seek sanctions if a new atomic blast is carried out.

Following the rocket launch, the 15-nation council gave its North Korean sanctions committee two weeks to propose new names and entities to add to the list of eight firms and five individuals already facing an assets freeze and travel ban.

The council, including China, agreed a statement which "strongly condemned" the launch and highlighted "grave security concerns" in Asia.

The council also ordered that an updated Missile Technology Control Regime list of banned exports be applied to further tighten pressure on North Korea.

A list of banned substances and technology prepared by the Nuclear Suppliers Group, the main nuclear equipment exporting countries, will also be applied to North Korea.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Beijing poised for 'de facto control' of S.China Sea: Philippines
    Beijing poised for 'de facto control' of S.China Sea: Philippines

    Beijing is poised to take "de facto control" of the South China Sea, the Philippines warned on Sunday as it called on fellow Southeast Asian countries to "finally stand up" to their massive neighbour. Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei claim parts of the strategic South China Sea, but Beijing claims nearly all of it and its increasingly strident assertions of its territorial ambitions have caused concern in the region and beyond. "(China) is poised to consolidate de facto control …

  • Philippines urges ASEAN to stop China in South China Sea

    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — The Philippines on Sunday urged the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations to take immediate steps to halt land reclamation by China in the disputed waters of the South China Sea, warning that failure to do so will see Beijing take "de facto control" of the area. …

  • Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions
    Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions

    Indonesia on Sunday signalled it was determined to push ahead with the execution of eight foreign drug convicts, despite a growing wave of global condemnation led by United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would be executed by firing squad imminently, along with an Indonesian prisoner. The group have been moved to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan, where …

  • U.N. chief appeals to Indonesia not to carry out executions
    U.N. chief appeals to Indonesia not to carry out executions

    United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appealed to Indonesia on Saturday not to execute 10 prisoners, including two Australians, for drug-related crimes. Indonesia has so far informed seven of the 10 death row inmates, including the Australians and one Nigerian, that they will be executed in a matter of days, possibly as soon as Tuesday. Nationals from Brazil, Ghana and the Philippines are also on Indonesia's death row. A temporary reprieve was granted to a French citizen who will not …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part of the Philippine National Police (PNP), while the Bangsamoro Regional Police Board (BRPB) will be part of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) and will carry out Napolcom’s mandate in the region,” he …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options