UNA bets slam 'last-minute' black propaganda

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    AFP News
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy's biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi's rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire's Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometre (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Image of Asia: Fire burns more than 1,000 homes in Manila

    Image of Asia: Fire burns more than 1,000 homes in Manila

    Associated Press
    Image of Asia: Fire burns more than 1,000 homes in Manila

    In this photo by Bullit Marquez, a boy sits on pavement while his family retrieves items from their burned home Tuesday following an overnight fire that destroyed a slum-dwellers community in Manila, Philippines. No casualties were reported in the 9-hour fire that burned more than a thousand homes and left at least 3,000 families homeless. The Bureau of Fire and Protection was still investigating the cause of the fire. But in Manila's poorest neighborhoods, fires often are caused by poor wiring …

  • 70 years on, survivors keep memory of Battle of Manila alive

    70 years on, survivors keep memory of Battle of Manila alive

    Associated Press
    70 years on, survivors keep memory of Battle of Manila alive

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Seventy years have not dulled the memories of survivors of the monthlong Battle of Manila. The mass killings by Japanese forces, the loved ones lost and the desperation are etched in their minds, as is the elation when American forces finally rescued them in the closing months of World War II. …

  • At least 32 killed in east Ukraine mine blast

    At least 32 killed in east Ukraine mine blast

    AFP News
    At least 32 killed in east Ukraine mine blast

    At least 32 miners have been killed in a blast at a coal mine in a rebel-held area of east Ukraine, the president of Ukraine's parliament said Wednesday. …

  • Ten migrants die in Mediterranean accident - report

    Reuters

    Ten migrants trying to reach Italy died when their boat overturned in the southern Mediterranean, Italy's Sky TG 24 television said on Wednesday. The report said an Italian coast guard ship was taking the bodies to the Sicilian port of Augusta along with some 500 migrants who were rescued. It said another 200 were rescued and were being taken aboard a tanker to another Sicilian port. Last month more than 300 people died trying to cross the sea from Africa to Italy in a one-week period. …

Two senatorial bets from the opposition ticket slammed what they called "last-minute" black propaganda hurled against them a day before the polls.

Reelectionist Senator Gregorio "Gringo" Honasan belied claims that he is quitting the race, while former Senator Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri denied sending an press statement hitting a rival.

"Wala pong katotohanan na ako ay umaatras sa aking kandidatura sa pagka-senador (There is no truth to claims that I am dropping my Senate bid)," Honasan said Sunday.

An email attributed to Honasan said the veteran legislator is withdrawing for the senatorial race to fulfill his "greater duty" to his family

"I have received information that as the polls open tomorrow, my opponents will execute the final phase of their plan--which involves allegations that could potentially cause irreparable damage to my family," the statement read.

Related story: UNA's Binay warns of poll cheating amid Team PNoy 'mind conditioning'

The rumor is a "desperate attempt" to demoralize supporters, a move Honasan attributed to "ill-minded people who cannot wait for the voters' voice and judgment."

"Wala po sa aking ugali ang isuko ang ano mang laban at paninindigan (It is not in my nature to give up any battle or principle)," Honasan's statement read.

Zubiri, for his part, said his office did not send a press release which reportedly attacks Senator Aquilino Martin "Koko" Pimentel III.

The release said Pimentel, who is admitted stranged from his wife Jewel Lobaton, should "take care of his home" and leave the Senate to Zubiri.

Also read: Poe, Pimentel vow to make peace with rivals in UNA


"The last official press release issued by the my office was the endorsement of Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago on me last Thursday," Zubiri said Sunday.

He added that he will ask the National Bureau of Investigation to probe the incident and file charges against those behind it.

"We strongly condemn such last minute desperate attack to destroy my integrity and reputation," Zubiri said.

This is not the first time UNA bets cried foul over fake emails sent to the media using their own camps' emails.

Senate aspirant and Cagayan Rep. Jack Enrile late last month denied releasing a statement about his alleged involvement in the 1981 death of actor Alfie Anido.

... more 

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.