Under-pressure Spain eyes bank rescue cash

Spanish banks may get their European rescue funds within weeks, the government said Wednesday, amid concern the state may yet need a full-blown bailout.

Under pressure from financial markets, the economy ministry said it was discussing with European authorities the disbursement of the first part of a bank rescue loan package of up to 100 billion euros ($123 billion).

"We are working on the demand for funds for Bankia" and three other nationalised banks -- CatalunyaCaixa, Novagalicia and Banco de Valencia, a source in the ministry told AFP.

"The deadlines are open. There is an instalment of 30 billion euros and a possibility of an earlier injection," the source added.

Spain's government had planned to announce after the results of an audit, due in September, how much the four banks need to get from a 30-billion-euro ($37 billion) first instalment of eurozone loans.

That is part of the credit line of up to 100 billion euros agreed last month by the eurozone countries to stabilise Spain's banks, which are struggling with mountains of bad loans from a property bubble that burst in 2008.

Spanish daily El Pais, citing ministry sources, reported Wednesday that the rescue funds for Bankia were being finalised and would be transferred to it within days.

The money is due to be transferred via a Spanish government bank restructuring fund.

For the bank aid to be released, Spain must make a formal request which must be approved by the European Commission, the European Central bank and eurozone countries.

European Commission spokesman Olivier Bailly said that once the request is made, the process of approving and transferring the funds would take between a few days and two weeks.

Bankia's share price shot up by more than 18 percent on the Madrid stock exchange in afternoon trading Wednesday after the reports, but this was only a fraction of its losses since it listed on the market in July 2011.

It was formed in 2010 by the merger of several regional savings banks as part of a costly restructuring of a banking sector stricken by the financial crisis.

In May this year it turned to the government for a 23.5 billion euro bailout which drove Spain to seek the eurozone rescue funds for its finance sector.

Bailly told reporters in Brussels on Wednesday that Spain had not yet formally submitted a request to activate the aid programme.

"We can take a decision any time day or night..." Bailly said. "For the moment, the obstacle is that we have not received a request."

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has announced a series of unpopular pay cuts and tax hikes in his efforts to lower Spain's deficit, but his country remains pressure from financial markets where Spain's borrowing costs have reached unsustainable levels over recent weeks.

There is considerable concern the country will eventually need a full bailout like Greece, Ireland and Portugal.

"Some analysts are forecasting that the Spanish government will end up asking for help from European rescue funds," economists at Link Analysis wrote in a note.

Intervention by these funds and the European Central Bank could "put an end once and for all to the exorbitant interest rates that the markets are demanding of Spain to finance itself."

However an EU source said Tuesday that Spain was reluctant to seek a broader bailout if it meant accepting more tough conditions on top of the planned savings of 102 billion euros by 2014 to comply with deficit targets set by Brussels.

The source said Rajoy was waiting for a European Commission assessment of the new 2013-2014 spending targets, the results of which are expected by mid-September at the earliest.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Racist remark vs Pinays not reflective of HK sentiment’
    ‘Racist remark vs Pinays not reflective of HK sentiment’

    The Philippine consulate general in Hong Kong believes that the “racist” statement of legislator Regina Ip against Filipina domestic helpers in Hong Kong is not reflective of the general sentiments of the Hong Kong community. Hong Kong is home to more than 173,00 Filipinos working mostly as household service workers. “They have left their loved ones back home to earn a decent living taking care of Hong Kong families. This, in turn, has engendered positive impact on both the quality of life …

  • SWS: Gov’t rating sinks to record low
    SWS: Gov’t rating sinks to record low

    “The Aquino administration is firmly determined to carry on and complete priority programs in all five pillars of the Philippine development plan, to ensure that reforms will be sustained by strengthened public institutions, to tread the righteous path and ensure that good governance becomes the norm at all levels of government, and to sustain and make permanent the gains from the transformation of mindsets and institutions,” Coloma added. Lawmakers expressed belief yesterday that the Aquino …

  • ‘Pacmania’ sweeping the nation
    ‘Pacmania’ sweeping the nation

    Manny Pacquiao’s face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses, and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero’s “fight of the century” nears. Pacmania is sweeping the nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. …

  • House committee to put Bangsamoro police under PNP
    House committee to put Bangsamoro police under PNP

    The House ad hoc committee on the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) will put police forces in the envisioned new autonomous Muslim region under the Philippine National Police (PNP), and not under the regional chief minister. “We will delete the provision in the draft BBL giving the chief minister operational, administrative and disciplinary control over police forces in the region,” Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, committee chairman, said in a television interview. He said under …

  • Phl to seek more US military aid
    Phl to seek more US military aid

    The Philippines said yesterday it would soon ask the United States for more military equipment and training to build its defenses, as it faces Chinese “aggressiveness” in disputed waters. As hundreds of Filipino and American Marines simulated an amphibious assault to reclaim territory from invaders during annual war games, Armed Forces chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang said he was drafting a “wish list” for US aid. Catapang said the Philippines would ask for “equipment and training” when …

  • Senate bill seeks planting of trees in parks, schools
    Senate bill seeks planting of trees in parks, schools

    A bill in the Senate is seeking to require the planting of trees in parks, school grounds, vacant lots and other urban areas nationwide. Sen. Juan Edgardo Angara said Bill No. 2566, the Greening Act of 2015, supports and complements the government’s National Greening Program to plant 1.5 billion trees in 1.5 million hectares of land from 2011 to 2016. “The Philippines was once known for its vast and lush forests,”he said. The Philippines was also named one of the world’s 10 most threatened …

  • ‘No need to convene NSC over sea tension’
    ‘No need to convene NSC over sea tension’

    There is no need to convene the National Security Council at the moment, despite China’s continued provocative activities in the West Philippine Sea. “At this time, the President does not see any need really to convene the NSC,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte yesterday told a news briefing, carried live by state-run PTV-4 and radio station dzRB. …

  • Fisherman narrates Chinese harassment at sea
    Fisherman narrates Chinese harassment at sea

    Fishing is the only livelihood available for Efren Montehermoso Jr. But after a huge Chinese ship drove away his small fishing boat near the disputed Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal in the West Philippine Sea, he promised never to return to the area for fear of his life. Montehermoso of Barangay Cato in Infanta town was among the group of 80 Filipino fishermen driven away by Chinese coast guard on April 9. Montehermoso said they went to the disputed area not to fish but just to seek temporary …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options