US sees window for Iran nuclear talks closing

The window for dialogue over Iran's nuclear programme is closing, the US ambassador to Israel said on Wednesday, insisting that Washington is under no illusions about Tehran's agenda in the talks.

Speaking at Tel Aviv University a week after world powers held a second round of largely fruitless talks with Iran, Ambassador Dan Shapiro insisted Washington would not continue such dialogue forever.

"We don't intend on continuing talks for talks' sake. The window is closing," he told participants attending an international security conference at the university.

"We have no illusions that Iran may be using this to buy time," he said. "It is up to Iran to follow through. The burden falls on Iran to prove it is serious."

Iran and the P5+1 -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany -- achieved little in two days of intense talks in Baghdad last week except for setting up another meeting in Moscow in June.

Shapiro said there were "significant differences" at the Baghdad talks, but also "a narrow common ground," which the parties would try to build on in the Russian capital.

And he said the threat of military action against Iran's nuclear facilities was still open.

"As we apply all elements of American power to prevent a nuclear Iran, the United States takes no option off the table -- that means a political component, a diplomatic component, an economic component and a military option," he said.

Neither the United States nor Israel has ruled out the option of a military strike, but the administration of President Barack Obama has made clear it favours diplomacy over force at this stage.

Israel has warned repeatedly that its window of opportunity for any pre-emptive military strike against Iranian nuclear facilities is closing rapidly as a result of Tehran's efforts to put the key ones into underground bunkers.

Speaking during the morning, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said it was crucial to act before Iran reached that point.

"It is impossible to sleep in peace when the Iranians are systematically moving towards the point after which Israel will not be able to do anything about it," he said.

"You don't wait until they acquire the ability, until they build it, deploy it and prepare to activate that nuclear capability -- and only then do you act. Because then it is too late. You cannot act; there is nothing left for you to do," he said.

"The relevant moment in terms of policy is the last moment in which you can do something about the issue. Otherwise it becomes an issue for commentators and historians. And you have to pinpoint that moment responsibly."

Barak said Washington was working on a different timeline than Israel and had different objectives about when to use force.

"It's clear that there are differences in our attitudes, in the tempo of the ticking of the clocks," he said. "It's no secret. Our clock is ticking faster."

Shapiro said Washington would never allow Tehran to reach such a point and insisted that the "harshest sanctions" were yet to come.

But Israeli Vice Prime Minister Moshe Yaalon said there was little sign that the existing sanctions was pushing Iran any closer to abandoning its plans.

"Iran is laughing all the way to the bomb," he said.

"There is no sign that it feels threatened."

Iran, he said, did not appear to believe the West would have the stomach to impose harsher sanctions or mount a military strike to halt its uranium enrichment facilities.

"The main problem is that Iran isn't convinced that the West, led by the United States, is threatening to go all the way, either through sanctions or the military option," he said.

He added that there is no sign that Iran thinks it is faced by clear threat due to high sensitivity over oil prices. "That perception must be changed."

Currently, there is no sign that Iran thinks it is faced by clear front due to high sensitivity over oil prices," he said. "That perception must be changed."

But the US ambassador insisted Washington would never allow Tehran to go nuclear.

"It would simply be too dangerous to let this regime that calls for Israel's destruction ... to acquire a nuclear weapon," he said.

"It would heighten the possibility of letting nuclear weapons fall into the hands of terrorist organisations, it would spark a nuclear arms race, it would collapse the nuclear non-proliferation system.

"And a nuclear Iran would embolden Iran in support of terrorist organisations like Hezbollah, Hamas and other groups -- and threaten freedom of navigation," he said, referring to Lebanon's Shiite militia and to the Palestinian Islamist movement which rules the Gaza Strip.

Shapiro said Washington and Israel both agreed that Iran should stop enrichment, not just enrichment to a high level.

"Exactly like Israel, the United States believes Iran must suspend uranium enrichment," he said, insisting on the necessity for Tehran to "take concrete measures" to prove it was doing so.

"US policy is to prevent Iran getting a nuclear weapon, not to learn to live with it," he said.

The West suspects Iran is seeking to develop a nuclear weapons capability under cover of a civilian programme, but most countries do not believe Tehran has decision to actually build a bomb.

Iran denies any military dimension to the programme.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions
    Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions

    Indonesia on Sunday signalled it was determined to push ahead with the execution of eight foreign drug convicts, despite a growing wave of global condemnation led by United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would be executed by firing squad imminently, along with an Indonesian prisoner. The group have been moved to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan, where …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part of the Philippine National Police (PNP), while the Bangsamoro Regional Police Board (BRPB) will be part of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) and will carry out Napolcom’s mandate in the region,” he …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

  • Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane
    Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane

    As Philippine officials continue to plead for a stay in the execution of death convict Mary Jane Veloso, the Indonesian government has sent a notice to her family ordering her execution at an undisclosed date, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday. Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said Indonesian authorities also allowed Veloso’s family and her lawyers to visit her on Nebu Kambangan execution island. “The Prosecutor gave notice letter to the family of Mary Jane …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options