US vows to stand by Libya despite envoy killings

The United States vowed to stand by Libya on Wednesday despite the killing of the US ambassador and three colleagues by Islamist militants on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton paid tribute to the slain envoy, Ambassador Chris Stevens, and said its mission would not waver in its support for Libya's shaky attempt to build democratic rule.

Obama's Republican challenger in the upcoming US presidential race, Mitt Romney, sounded the only off note -- accusing the White House of "sympathizing" with Muslim protesters angered by an amateur US movie that lampoons Islam.

The Obama campaign dismissed the charge, and the president himself rose above the fray to issue a solemn statement, flanked by Clinton in the Rose Garden of the White House, denouncing the attack, which also left between three to five US staff wounded.

"The United States condemns in the strongest terms this outrageous and shocking attack," he said. "Make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people."

"The attack will not break the bonds between the United States and Libya," he said, paying tribute to the actions of the new Libyan government, which is trying to unite the country after last year's overthrow of Moamer Kadhafi.

US officials said it was unclear who was behind the attack.

"We are not in a position to speak any further to the perpetrators of this attack. It was clearly a complex attack. We're going to have to do a full investigation," a senior US official said. An FBI probe is already underway.

Libya's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Ibrahim Dabbashi, said up to 10 members of the Libyan security forces were hurt or killed in their failed attempt to protect the compound belonging to their US ally.

The US official said Stevens became separated from his security detail when the militants stormed a building in the compound, which caught fire in the attack.

"Security personnel were endeavoring to get him out of the building when they got separated by the incredibly thick smoke and fire," the official said, asking to remain anonymous.

Somehow Stevens got out and reached a local hospital, and his body was later returned to US officials at Benghazi airport. The senior US official said it was unclear how he got to the hospital or when he died, adding the cause of death would not be known until an autopsy was carried out.

Meanwhile, the United States is evacuating all its US staff from Benghazi, who were being flown to Germany where the wounded will be treated, and has cut staff at the embassy in Tripoli to emergency levels.

A detachment of Marines is also being dispatched to secure the main embassy in the Libyan capital Tripoli.

Benghazi in eastern Libya was the cradle of the NATO-backed revolt against Kadhafi's regime. Its streets are now prey to a variety of tribal and Islamist militia groups.

The assault, in which the US offices were burned and rocket-propelled grenades were fired, followed an earlier protest in Cairo, the capital of Egypt, in which hardline Salafist Islamists stormed the US embassy compound.

No one was hurt in Cairo, but the US flag was torn down and replaced by the black banner favored by supporters of militant groups like Al-Qaeda, in a protest triggered by the emergence on the Internet of an anti-Muslim film.

The US-made amateur production, which was recently dubbed into Arabic and broadcast in part on some Egyptian-based television networks, mocks and insults Islam's revered prophet, Mohammed.

Four hours before the Cairo protest began, the US embassy in the Egyptian capital issued a short statement indirectly criticizing the film by condemning "efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims."

For Romney, this amounted to Obama's administration "sympathizing with those who had breached our embassy in Egypt instead of condemning their actions."

Later in the day, Obama lashed out at Romney, questioning his tendency to "shoot first and aim later."

But Clinton had insisted that anger over the film's content could in no way justify either the protest in Cairo nor the attack in Libya.

"Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet," Clinton said.

"The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.... But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options