Victims want to return to area where fire struck

CLOSE to 47 fire victims from Barangay Tipolo sought the help of the Mandaue City Council in acquiring a “relocation site” at Sitio Maharlika, Barangay Tipolo, Mandaue City.

The fire victims, who are currently using the Cebu International Convention Center (CICC) as temporary shelter, made an appearance during the Mandaue City Council session Monday, March 2, 2020.

Mylene Argawanon, one of the fire victims, on behalf of the group, read a letter addressed to the council saying the P5,000 financial assistance given to them last September 2019 was not enough, and they want to return to Barangay Tipolo where they came from.

Tony Pet Juanico, head of Mandaue City’s Housing and Urban Development Office (Hudo), who was also at the session, questioned Argawanon’s presence because she reportedly is one of the beneficiaries.

Argawanon, for her part, clarified that she only wants to be assured that they could go back to the lot where fire struck in June last year.

Meanwhile, Juanico assured that those who have been validated as beneficiaries will be provided a relocation site.

However, he said the fire victims who showed up at the Mandaue City Council session have not submitted the requirements demanded by Hudo.

“I would like to appeal to everyone, go to our office and comply with the requirements and we will process it whatever the result is,” said Juanico in a mix of Cebuano and English.

In an interview, Mandaue City Councilor Jesus Arcilla Jr., head of the Committee on Socialized Housing, told SunStar Cebu that he will schedule a meeting between Hudo and the fire victims to settle their concerns. He also encouraged the victims to comply with the validation requirements for beneficiaries./ (KFD)