Fishermen Feared Dead as Search Operations Enter Third Day

Storyful

The search for six missing fishermen after their vessel capsized in central Queensland entered its third day on October 19, with rescuers fearing the worst as debris and personal items from the boat were found washed ashore.

The Courier Mail reported that hopes were shrinking for the six crewmates who had been missing since Monday night, when their trawler capsized off the town of Seventeen Seventy. Gladstone Police Sergeant Jeff Barnett said search would be entering into a different phase.

“Once the time frame for survival has expired we will maintain a search for potential survivors in the hope they have managed to get to an area we haven’t got to,” Barnett told media on Thursday.

“At this stage planning is under way for continued air and surface searches, but it will be on a slightly different scale in slightly different areas, depending on weather and what information comes with regard to debris and drift.”

This video, taken from the Bundaberg RACQ helicopter, shows part of the search operations. Credit: RACQ LifeFlight Rescue via Storyful