Visayan Electric continues to clear toppled posts, bundle ‘spaghetti wires’

·1 min read

THE Visayan Electric Company continues to secure posts and wires that were affected by super typhoon Odette in December last year.

Raul Lucero, president and chief executive officer of Visayas Electric, said the cleanup had to take a backseat as their priority was to restore power in affected areas.

By March, 99.99 percent of affected Visayan Electric customers had their power restored, he said.

Lucero assured that they have assigned crews to clear toppled posts and wires.

He pointed out that majority of “spaghetti wires” belong to telecommunications companies.

He said they’ve cleared and bundled “spaghetti wires” from the Capitol down to Osmeña Boulevard and along P. del Rosario and Imus Streets. Their next target will be “spaghetti wires” from the corner of General Maxilom Avenue all the way to Imus Street and back to Fuente Osmeña, he said.

He said the Visayan Electric allocates a budget of P100 million for this project every year.

Meanwhile, the Visayan Electric executive said they have a business continuity and contingency plan in case of a natural calamity, but what happened during Odette was different. It plunged most of Cebu Island into darkness, he said.

The Visayan Electric, as one of the sponsors of the 30th Press Freedom Week, hosted a “Power Lunch” for members of the media on Monday, September 19, 2022. (HBL, PJB)