AFTER institutionalizing Covid-19 response protocol in Cebu City, Inter-Agency Task Force Deputy Implementer for the Visayas for Covid Response Melquiades Feliciano is now bound for Western Visayas.
Feliciano, a retired general, was asked to help the cities of Iloilo and Bacolod in their response to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) after new cases were logged in the two areas recently.
President Rodrigo Duterte sent Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu and Feliciano to Cebu City to address the increasing number of Covid-19 cases in the city in June.
Feliciano said he will be in Western Visayas by Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020, but he will still be closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation in Cebu City.
“As of the latest monitoring, the transmission of the virus has slowed down. At times, tumataas (there was an increase) because of the close contacts of people found positive for the virus,” Feliciano said.
For the first time in more than two months, the number of active cases of Covid-19 in Cebu City fell below 1,000 on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020.
The Department of Health (DOH) 7 reported that as of Aug. 26, the city had just 626 active cases, which refer to patients who are still admitted in hospitals and quarantine facilities undergoing treatment.
The last time Cebu City had active Covid-19 cases numbering less than 1,000 was last June 5 when it had 995 active cases.
Feliciano said Cebu City residents are more conscious now in observing the minimum health standards that helped in containing the spread of the
He reminded Cebuanos to take extra effort in keeping themselves safe as there would be more movement if the city’s general community quarantine (GCQ) status is downgraded to modified GCQ. Cebu City is on GCQ status until Aug. 31.
Feliciano is confident that the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) can sustain the efforts and enforce the health measures properly. The EOC is monitoring the Covid-19 situation in Cebu City.
Cebu City had a total of 9,565 Covid-19 cases as of Aug. 26, of which 8,298 were recoveries and 641 were deaths.
This comes after the city logged 621 new recoveries, 37 new Covid-19 cases and 16 new deaths.
The active cases on Aug. 26 constituted 6.5 percent of the total cases. A tad higher was the city’s Covid-19 death rate, which was at 6.7 percent.
Cebu City’s Covid-19 recovery rate as of Aug. 26 was 86.75 percent.
The new Covid-19 cases came from 16 barangays in Cebu City, according to City Councilor Joel Garganera, EOC deputy chief implementer.
Garganera, in an online press conference on Aug. 27, disclosed that the EOC had logged 39 new cases as of Aug. 26, higher than the 37 new cases reported by the DOH 7.
Among the new cases were three police officers.
He said contact tracers were deployed to the barangays on the morning of Aug. 27.
At the time of the interview with Garganera, 23 households had been placed under lockdown.
Last Aug. 22, Garganera said 36 of the city’s 80 barangays now had zero Covid-19 cases. He corrected himself yesterday, saying there were only 35 barangays.
Garganera said the number of barangays that have zero Covid-19 cases and transmission has now decreased to 33.
“This is our message. Everything is so fragile. Yesterday (referring to Aug. 25) we had a one-digit figure, and today we have 39 (new cases),” he said.
Garganera also said the result of the contact tracing activity conducted last Aug. 26 showed that workplace-related transmission rose to 51 percent.
Last Aug. 25, Cebu City had only 49 percent of workplace-to- household transmission.
However, Garganera emphasized the city is “flattening the curve,” but that there are still “spikes within the flat area.”
Garganera said the DOH 7 and the EOC, together with the Cebu City Health Department, are continually harmonizing their data to attain uniform
figures. They are now working on the remaining 151 variants of the EOC’s and DOH’s data.
He said there will be another round of data harmonization on Aug. 28.
Garganera said the EOC and the police department support the plan of Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella to still implement strict restrictions should the city be placed under modified GCQ in September. (MVG/JJL)