Chinese club Guangzhou get Italian coach Lippi

World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi was unveiled as the new coach of Chinese champions Guangzhou Evergrande on Thursday, in the latest sign of the Super League's growing financial clout.

The 64-year-old, who boasts excellent credentials after lifting the Champions League with Juventus and guiding his native Italy to World Cup glory in 2006, is the highest-profile coach to make the lucrative move to China.

The deal also confirms the soaring ambitions of Guangzhou, who last year made Argentina's Dario Conca one of the world's richest players when they snapped him up and then went on to take the nation's Super League title.

"In accordance with the strategic needs of the club... the following decision was made: to hire Mr Marcello Lippi as the head coach of Guangzhou Evergrande," the club in China's southern industrial city said in a statement.

"The period of hiring is two years and six months," it added, without giving details about the Italian's salary. The Gazzetta dello Sport reported it was likely to be 10 million euros ($13 million) a year.

The silver-haired Lippi will take charge for the first time on Sunday, at home against bottom-placed Qingdao Jonoon, the newspaper said.

He has not worked since leaving the post of Italian coach following the national side's ignominious performance in 2010, when they became the first defending champions to exit at the group stage.

The Guangzhou Evergrande announcement follows persistent media rumours about Lippi's highly anticipated move and comes despite manager Lee Jang-Soo this week taking the team into the AFC Champions League knock-out rounds.

The club said Lee, a South Korean, would step down as head coach, but it was unclear whether he would stay on in another capacity.

Speaking at a press conference from Guangzhou that was broadcast live on Chinese state television, Lippi -- who also won several Serie A titles -- said he was first contacted by the club in May last year.

"I dispatched an assistant to go see the club's matches, which made me even more determined. I am very enthusiastic about coming to China," he said.

Football clubs in China have recently gone on a spending spree for foreign imports they hope will help raise the success of their teams, after the sport's reputation in the country was badly damaged by a match-fixing scandal.

In December, Shanghai Shenhua snapped up ex-Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka and they also signed France's Jean Tigana as head coach, but soon terminated his contract after a dismal start to the season.

In its statement, Guangzhou Evergrande thanked former coach Lee for his services and said the decision to let him go had been amicable.

Lee led Guangzhou back to China's top flight and claimed last year's Super League title after the club had been relegated over the corruption scandal, in which some officials remain before the courts.

But he became embroiled in a public row with Conca after the Argentine strongly criticised his substitution in this month's 3-1 Champions League defeat to South Korea's Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors.

Conca was fined and given a nine-match ban -- which was then embarrassingly lifted for this week's Champions League game against Thailand's Buriram United. He scored a last-gasp penalty to secure victory and a place in the last 16.

According to the official Xinhua news agency, Lee announced his departure at Bangkok airport after Guangzhou's 2-1 win over Buriram on Tuesday. On their return to China, some players were in tears.

"I will no longer be your coach after we return to Guangzhou. You are all professional players, you should continue working hard in your future career," Lee, 55, was reported as saying.

Fans held up banners saying, "Don't go!", and, "Guangzhou thank you!", as defender Zhang Linpeng paid tribute to the South Korean coach.

"Together, we have gone through good days and bad days. We have achieved so many glories. You are the best coach. I will never forget you," Zhang reportedly said.

Online, Chinese fans broadly welcomed Lippi's appointment, but some expressed amazement that he would come to the Asian nation.

"To be a coach in Chinese football? Lippi clearly wants to shatter his reputation," one wrote.

Others expressed reservations about the timing of Lee's departure.

"The top brass at Guangzhou Evergrande should listen to fans -- Lippi is outstanding, but he still needs a break-in period with the team," one fan wrote on Sina's popular microblog.

"They must be prudent after qualifying for the AFC knock-out stages, otherwise the team will fail when they were so near success."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Chinese actions 'may undermine peace' in S. China Sea: ASEAN
    Chinese actions 'may undermine peace' in S. China Sea: ASEAN

    Chinese island-building efforts "may undermine peace, security and stability" in the disputed South China Sea, said a statement by Southeast Asian leaders meeting for a summit on Monday. The statement, yet to be publicly released, was prepared on behalf of leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) gathering in Malaysia for an annual meeting. "We share the serious concerns expressed by some leaders on the land reclamation being undertaken in the South China Sea, …

  • Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia
    Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia

    Australia on Monday urged Indonesia to ensure all legal processes have been cleared of corruption before executing two of its nationals as bribery allegations surfaced regarding their drug smuggling trial. Foreign Minister Julie Bishop spoke to her Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi on Sunday evening while Prime Minister Tony Abbott has written to President Joko Widodo to again plead for the executions to be halted. "Bali Nine" drug traffickers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan could face …

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options