Walmart aims for first India store in 12-18 months

US giant Walmart said on Friday it aims to launch its first retail store in India within the next 18 months after the government opened the vast consumer market to foreign chains.

"That is the plan -- to open (stores) in 12 to 18 months," a spokesman for the world's largest retailer by sales told AFP, declining to disclose details including how many branches Walmart might open.

Up until now foreign groups such as Walmart could only operate as wholesalers amid fears that big Western retail chains would swamp India's tens of millions of small family-run stores which dominate the sector.

The government signed into law Thursday a decision to allow foreign multibrand retailers to set up shop in India via joint ventures, as part of a burst of reforms to further open up the economy and kickstart sharply slowing growth.

Walmart, which already operates stores in neighbouring China, is the first foreign company to formally announce its intentions to enter the retail market under the new policy which kicked up a political storm, with the Congress-led government's largest coalition partner pulling out in protest on Friday.

Protests against the reforms were staged across India on Thursday.

To prepare for its store entry, Walmart opened its first wholesale supply outlet in 2009 in alliance with Bharti Enterprises, parent of India's top mobile firm Bharti Airtel, and now has 17 "Best Price" cash-and-carry outfits.

"Walmart has a reasonable amount of experience about the Indian customer and society and that's why I think they can get off the ground reasonably quickly," Arvind Singhal, chairman of Indian consultancy Technopak, told AFP.

Walmart and French supermarket Carrefour, the world's second-largest retailer, and others such as Britain's Tesco had been pressing the country of 1.2 billion people to open up the retail sector to offset tepid Western markets.

India's retail market clocks $500 billion in sales annually, a figure expected to grow to $800 billion in the next five years, Technopak says. Of that, chain stores account for $33 billion, a sum seen growing to $80 billion within five years.

Technopak's Singhal dismissed fears family-owned neighbourhood stores would be pushed out of business by enlarging the foreign retail presence.

"The pie's big enough for everyone. If you look at the projected figure for chain store sales in five years, it represents only 10 percent of total sales," he said.

The government has also imposed curbs, saying foreign multibrand stores can only open in states welcoming them and in cities with over one million people, he noted. Just a third of India's 29 states have said they back retail reforms.

Modernisation of India's retail market would take years, Singhal added. "This transformation will not be overnight."

Tesco, which helps steel-to-tea giant Tata Group operate the Indian company's Star Bazaar chain of 13 stores, said in a statement the company "welcomes this positive development, but we await further detail".

And Carrefour, reported by Indian media in July to have put on hold an expansion plan for wholesale stores in India in the face of a European slowdown, declined to comment. It has two cash-and-carry stores in India.

Earlier this year India allowed foreign companies to own 100 percent of "single-brand" retail ventures, up from an earlier cap of 51 percent.

The move prompted Sweden's IKEA to apply to open outlets in India as it seeks new markets for its flat-pack furniture, although it is still awaiting the government's nod.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options