Ton-up Strauss gives England edge over Windies

England captain Andrew Strauss ended his 18-month wait for a Test century as he led his side into a first innings lead on the second day against the West Indies at Lord's on Friday.

When bad light ended play, England were 259 for three -- a lead of 16 runs -- after they needed just Friday's first ball to dismiss the West Indies for their overnight score of 243.

Strauss was 121 not out and Ian Bell five not out at stumps.

But with the West Indies just two deliveries into the new ball, England's position is far from assured in this first of a three-Test series.

This was the 35-year-old Strauss's 20th century in his 95 Tests but the left-handed opener's first since he made 110 against Australia at Brisbane in November 2010 -- a run of 25 innings without a hundred at this level.

"It's been a while so it's one of the more special (hundreds)," Strauss told Sky Sports.

"It's been a long wait but it makes it all the more special to get to 100.

"As the pressure builds you really want to release it, you're wanting to take that monkey off your back and wanting to contribute to the team, and I was able to do that today."

Strauss came into this match facing questions regarding his recent lack of runs but the circumstances were near ideal for him to end his century drought, despite overcast conditions that saw the floodlights switched on after lunch.

The West Indies attack was willing but rarely threatening and Strauss enjoys batting at Lord's, his Middlesex home ground, where he has now made five Test centuries including one on debut, against New Zealand in 2004.

Strauss is now in sight of the England Test record of 22 hundreds held jointly by Walter Hammond, Colin Cowdrey and Geoffrey Boycott.

His only worrying moment Friday came when he was dropped on 95 in the slips by Shivnarine Chanderpaul off what was, in any event, a Fidel Edwards no-ball.

Soon afterwards Strauss, playing his favoured cut shot, struck West Indies captain Darren Sammy for the 17th four of a 213-ball hundred and punched the air in celebration.

"I was just waiting for the cut ball," said Strauss. "He (Sammy) hadn't bowled one for about 10 overs but thankfully it came.

"It was a very special ovation, it did go on and on. It was slightly emotional and I had to take a couple of moments.

"It's not that often in your career you get to score a Test century and you have to enjoy them."

He added: "It's a good feeling to know I've got a few and that we're in a good position. We want to get a good first-innings score and go on and win the game."

West Indies did enjoyed a welcome moment of respite before the close when Kevin Pietersen, who'd looked in excellent touch while making 32 and putting on exactly 50 with Strauss, saw an edged cut off occasional off-spinner Marlon Samuels well caught by wicket-keeper Denesh Ramdin.

It was a much needed break for the tourists who, after Kemar Roach had made Strauss's fellow opener Alastair Cook play on for 26, had to endure a second-wicket stand of 147 featuring Jonathan Trott's 58.

Sammy, who twice came close to having Trott out for 17 after lbw and caught behind appeals were rejected, eventually got his man when Ramdin held an outside edge from the right-hander.

Earlier, West Indies saw No 11 Shannon Gabriel's maiden Test innings end in a golden duck when he edged Stuart Broad to Graeme Swann at second slip.

Chanderpaul, officially the world's best batsman, remained stranded on his overnight score of 87 not.

Fast-medium bowler Broad's figures of seven for 72 were his best in Tests, surpassing his six for 46 against India at his Nottinghamshire home ground of Trent Bridge last year.

Broad, son of former England opening batsman Chris, is only the seventh player to have taken five or more wickets in a Test innings and scored a Test century at Lord's following his 169 against Pakistan at 'the home of cricket' two years ago.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options