Samuels and Ramdin repel England

Marlon Samuels and Denesh Ramdin both scored fifties as West Indies reached 280 for eight against England at stumps on the third day of the third Test at Edgbaston here on Saturday.

Samuels followed his hundred in England's nine-wicket second Test win at Trent Bridge with a stylish 76 as this match finally got underway after the first two days had been washed out without a ball being bowled.

West Indies, who had been a solid 85 for one at lunch, slumped to 152 for five but rallied thanks to a sixth-wicket stand of 56 between Samuels and wicketkeeper Ramdin.

At the close, Ramdin was 60 not out after completing a 97-ball half-century with six fours. Ravi Rampaul was unbeaten on two.

Graham Onions marked his recall to Test duty in the absence of rested paceman James Anderson and Stuart Broad with three wickets for 56 runs in 24 overs while Tim Bresnan took three for 74 in 26.

Samuels, banned for two years for betting offences in 2008, was delighted by his latest innings.

"Right now, this is my time to enjoy myself, my time to shine," he told reporters after stumps."

Onions and Steven Finn both played after England rested new-ball duo James Anderson and Stuart Broad.

But, as Anderson had done at Trent Bridge, Onions engaged Samuels in plenty of 'banter' in the middle.

"I guess Onions is not learning," said Samuels. "It motivated me to stay out there. It was rude but fun."

Onions himself was just delighted to be playing Test cricket again after suffering a career-threatening back injury.

"A couple of years ago I genuinely didn't think I was going to play cricket again, which made today even more special," said Onions, appearing in his ninth Test but first in more than two years.

"I was pretty nervous this morning but I really enjoyed it -- it was like a second (England) debut," added the 29-year-old Durham quick, who still has a five inch titanium screw in his back.

England's position might have been stronger had they not dropped three slip catches.

History was against either side winning this match as only twice before, when England beat New Zealand at Leeds in 1958 and New Zealand defeated Bangladesh at Hamilton in 2001, had teams won a Test after the first two days had been washed out completely.

That England captain Andrew Strauss opted to field first after winning the toss against a West Indies side whose top-order collapses had helped the hosts into an unassailable 2-0 lead in this three-Test series was no surprise.

And Onions, nearly had an early wicket.

Adrian Barath had made four when he edged Onions only for Ian Bell, fielding in the third slip position often occupied by Anderson, to drop the straightforward chance.

Instead it was Bresnan who struck first when he had Kieran Powell caught by second slip Graeme Swann for 24 to leave the tourists 49 for one.

Barath was still on his lunch score of 40 not out when he was reprieved again by Bell, who dropped an easy chance off Finn.

Fortunately for England, it was not an expensive miss as Barath had added just one run when Onions had him lbw.

Test debutant Assad Fudadin, in for the dropped Kirk Edwards, saw his promising innings end on 28 when he gloved a well-directed Bresnan bouncer and Bell, to the delight of his Warwickshire home crowd, at last held a catch.

Samuels struck successive deliveries from off-spinner Swann for a six and a four to complete a 76-ball fifty.

But he was out when, shortly before the new ball, he fell lbw to Bresnan's off-cutter.

The Jamaican reviewed New Zealand umpire Tony Hill's decision but replays indicated the ball had just pitched in line and Samuels's entertaining innings, featuring a six and 10 fours, was at an end.

West Indies captain Darren Sammy, who scored his maiden Test hundred at Trent Bridge, was dropped badly by Strauss off Middlesex colleague Finn.

But the all-rounder was still on 16 when he fell to the same combination.

And before stumps, the accurate Onions had Test debutant Sunil Narine playing on for 11.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • The Top 10 Richest People In The Philippines 2015
    The Top 10 Richest People In The Philippines 2015

    Things have changed since Forbes’ list of The World’s Billionaires was released in 2014. This 2015, there have been a … The post The Top 10 Richest People In The Philippines 2015 appeared first on iMoney.ph. …

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options