Bell century sets up England win over W.Indies

Ian Bell smashed a century to lead England to a 114-run win over West Indies, but admitted that he had enjoyed a double dose of good fortune.

Bell on Saturday made 126 as England beat the tourists under the Duckworth/Lewis method in a rain-affected series opener at the Rose Bowl to go 1-0 up in the three-match series ahead of Tuesday's clash at The Oval.

The 30-year-old's innings, the cornerstone of England's 288 for six, came just a day after he'd to have stitches inserted into a chin wound after being struck in the face while batting in the indoor nets.

He was fortunate then and was left thanking his good luck a second time on Saturday when the West Indies were adamant he was out, caught behind for 23 off Ravi Rampaul.

But English umpire Richard Kettleborough rejected the paceman's raucous appeal.

Bell admitted he'd nicked the ball but, with few current batsmen following the example of retired Australia great Adam Gilchrist in 'walking', West Indies' Dwayne Smith said the incident was just part of the game.

"I was quite lucky that all the precautions from the backroom staff yesterday (Friday) got me in a good frame of mind," said Bell of his freak injury.

"It had gone quite deep to the bone. It was weird, because it hurt more by my ear really rather than where it actually hit me."

Bell, asked if he'd edged the ball on 23, admitted: "Yes."

However, Smith -- whose 56 opening in place of the injured Chris Gayle was a rare highlight for the tourists -- said: "There was a sound but the umpire said 'not out', so we can't do anything about that."

Bell, opening the batting following the one-day retirement of Kevin Pietersen, marked his return to the side with just his second hundred in 109 matches at this level.

But it was his second at the Rose Bowl, having made 126 not out against India in 2007.

Bell finished England's 2-0 Test series win over the West Indies with an unbeaten 76 in rain-marred drawn third Test at his Warwickshire home ground concluded Monday.

"I felt I was in pretty good nick by the end of that Test series, so it was nice to go at the top of the order and play some proper cricket shots. I didn't try to slog -- which probably in the past I've been guilty of doing," he said.

England are the world's top-ranked Test nation but they've struggled by comparison in one-day cricket and exited last year's World Cup after a 10-wicket quarter-final thrashing by Sri Lanka in Colombo.

However, this was their fifth successive one-day win after a 4-0 series sweep of Pakistan which saw Alastair Cook, their captain in 50-over cricket, score back-to-back hundreds in Abu Dhabi before Pietersen followed up with two consecutive centuries in Dubai.

"We have talked about our game plan and it's certainly that one of the top four goes on and scores runs," said Cook, out for nought on Saturday before Bell and Warwickshire colleague Jonathan Trott shared a second-wicket stand of 108.

West Indies had far higher hopes for this series as opposed to the Tests, although they suffered a setback when Gayle, arguably the world's best one-day opener, was ruled out of Saturday's match with a shin injury.

However, Cook said: "They're a very dangerous side and that's why we shouldn't take them lightly again or also diminish how well we played."

Smith was playing his first ODI in more than two years and the 29-year-old, who featured for the Mumbai Indians in the recent Twenty20 Indian Premier League, said: "I've got older and really understand my own game now. I go out there and I'm just free."

The Bajan, who played the last of his 10 Tests six years ago, added: "I think I still have a lot more to do if I want to get back into the Test side.

"I need to go out there and keep proving myself each game."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR
    Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR

    Malacañang is leaving it up to Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to consider a proposed special tax exemption for boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his much-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday it will have to be discussed by Congress because lawmakers are the ones who enact tax exemptions, special or general. Pacquiao has been dogged by unsettled tax obligations with the BIR. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • 3 Pinays on Forbes power women list
    3 Pinays on Forbes power women list

    Three Filipina executives, who are all daughters of known business tycoons in the country, made it to Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia. Teresita Sy-Coson, vice chairman of SM Investments and chairman of BDO Universal Bank, was included in the list for the fourth year in a row since its inception. “Under her (Sy-Coson) lead SMIC became the largest listed company on the Philippine Stock Exchange by market cap. Also in the 2015 list is 70-year-old Helen Yuchengco-Dee, …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Phl now biggest grower of GM crops
    Phl now biggest grower of GM crops

    The Philippines is now the twelfth biggest grower of genetically modified (GM) crops. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options