Grace Poe's woes with UNA

  • Image of Asia: Fire burns more than 1,000 homes in Manila

    Image of Asia: Fire burns more than 1,000 homes in Manila

    Associated Press
    Image of Asia: Fire burns more than 1,000 homes in Manila

    In this photo by Bullit Marquez, a boy sits on pavement while his family retrieves items from their burned home Tuesday following an overnight fire that destroyed a slum-dwellers community in Manila, Philippines. No casualties were reported in the 9-hour fire that burned more than a thousand homes and left at least 3,000 families homeless. The Bureau of Fire and Protection was still investigating the cause of the fire. But in Manila's poorest neighborhoods, fires often are caused by poor wiring …

  • 70 years on, survivors keep memory of Battle of Manila alive

    70 years on, survivors keep memory of Battle of Manila alive

    Associated Press
    70 years on, survivors keep memory of Battle of Manila alive

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Seventy years have not dulled the memories of survivors of the monthlong Battle of Manila. The mass killings by Japanese forces, the loved ones lost and the desperation are etched in their minds, as is the elation when American forces finally rescued them in the closing months of World War II. …

  • Toll in Philippine clashes with Islamists rises to 26

    Toll in Philippine clashes with Islamists rises to 26

    AFP News
    Toll in Philippine clashes with Islamists rises to 26

    A military assault on Islamic militants in the southern Philippines entered its fifth day on Saturday, with the toll rising to 24 guerrillas and two soldiers dead, officials said. Ten Abu Sayyaf militants were killed in a two-hour clash on Friday after the army pounded their jungle lair on Jolo island with artillery and helicopter gunships, said Colonel Alan Arrojado, who is leading the assault. Battles were raging in the mountainous and thickly forested villages of Patikul town, an area …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Philippine Star
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Congress to make BBL comply with Charter

    Congress to make BBL comply with Charter

    Philippine Star
    Congress to make BBL comply with Charter

    The House of Representatives and the Senate will have to rewrite the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) to make it conform to the Constitution, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. We have to make it comply with the Constitution,” Belmonte said in a television interview. He said Congress has to come up with a version of the proposed law creating a new autonomous Bangsamoro region and approve it. Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, who chairs the House ad hoc committee on the draft …

Amid warnings she will be dropped as guest candidate, former censors chief Grace Poe-Llamanzares admits deliberately skipping United Nationalist Alliance (UNA)’s proclamation rally in Cebu City last week.

Poe-Llamanzares revealed this during the Visayas leg of Team PNoy’s campaign in Cebu, where she she slammed former Arroyo administration allies running under UNA.

"It’s not your (UNA leadership) fault but the fault of others… This was a reason why I didn't stand on another stage in Cebu City," Poe-Llamanzares admitted.

"Because it still hurts," she added, noting that she could not share the stage with suspended Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia who has transferred allegiance to UNA after being a staunch ally of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Related story: Arroyo influence waning this 2013 polls

Arroyo, who is still under hospital arrest at Veterans Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City, is facing electoral sabotage case for allegedly orchestrating massive cheating in the 2004 presidential elections.

Poe-Llamanzares has been claiming her father, the late national artist Fernando Poe Jr., should have won against Arroyo if the polls were not rigged.

With this, Poe-Llamanzares she is ready to leave her father’s friends in UNA amid threats from Vice President Jejomar Binay’s camp to drop her as guest candidate.

“I will not attend yet because we (Binay) did not talk about it so far. Vice President Binay told me we will still talk about this soon,” Poe-Llamanzares said in an interview.

Noting the lack of urgency to join UNA rallies, the MTRCB chief clarified she would respect the other camp’s prerogative to do so.

“I think this is the right chance to thank them because they really helped me with my campaign. I want to give them courtesy,” she added.

However, Poe-Llamanzares expressed disappointment over UNA leadership’s threat to include her in their threat to drop common candidates as part of their senatorial ticket.

She explained when UNA asked her to be a guest candidate, there were no preconditions.

“From what I understood since the start, I thought I was adopted without any condition that I should attend their sortie,” Poe-Llamanzares said.

Related story: Comelec probes Senate bet for iPad contest

Her father, the late king of Filipino action films, was the best friend of UNA convenor and former President Joseph “Erap” Estrada, who promised to help Poe-Llamanzares when she filed her candidacy.

Poe-Llamanzares noted that Estrada’s son, Senate President Pro-Tempore, just asked her to attend UNA’s miting de avance or the big rally that closes the official campaign period.

“It’s just sad because I thought there are some things that can transcend beyond political considerations like their support,” Poe-Llamanzares said.

“Now that they are giving us ultimatum, it’s sad that it’s coming not necessarily from the leadership but from other candidates of UNA,” she added.

The ex-MTRCB chair issued the statement as UNA executive committee – composed of Binay, Estrada, and Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile – are assessing whether they would continue to support "common candidates".

The failure of common candidate Senator Francis  “Chiz” Escudero to attend without sending a proxy during UNA’s proclamation rally in Cebu last week have offended some candidates in the ticket.

Related story: Erap practicing 'Gangnam', to meet Psy 

This provoked other UNA senatorial candidates to call for fair treatment, which egged UNA campaign manager not to display Escudero’s tarpaulin on the opposition coalition’s stage.

The incident also opened debate within the camp to drop Poe-Llamanzares and Senator Loren Legarda even if they managed to send representatives for UNA’s opening salvo in Cebu City last Tuesday.

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

POLL
Loading...
Poll Choice Options