Sleepy Serena reaches Stanford semis

Serena Williams fought off fatigue to post a 6-4, 6-0 win over Chanelle Scheepers to reach the semi-finals of the WTA hardcourt tournament in Stanford.

Williams, the top seed and defending champion, won a 43-minute first set punctuated by five breaks of serve against her sixth-seeded South African opponent.

She said she was still feeling the effects of her triumph at Wimbledon last weekend and the subsequent flight to California.

"I still have major jet-lag," said the 30-year-old US star, who said she awoke in the early hours of Friday and watched a DVD of popular series "Desperate Housewives" .

"I've been up a long time," she said. "I'm tired now and ready to sleep, but it felt good to be out here -- and especially good to win.

"I didn't want to take anything, so I was wide awake just like as if I was in Europe. I started the match slow and sluggish, but I expected that. I just stayed in there until I began moving better.

"I told myself just to get through it, win quickly. I'm a fighter, I just click -- the mentality just kicks in."

Williams, whose first title upon her return last summer from a series of health problems came in Stanford, swept through the second set.

On Saturday she'll face Sorana Cirstea after the Romanian roared back to upset Slovak third seed Dominika Cibulkova 6-7 (5/7), 6-2, 6-0.

Yanina Wickmayer pounced on nine double-faults from Marion Bartoli to knock the French second seed out in their quarter-final.

Belgium's Wickmayer, seeded fifth, ousted Bartoli 6-3, 6-2 to advance to a final-four clash with American Coco Vandeweghe.

Vandeweghe reached the first WTA-level semi-final of her career with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Poland's Urszula Radwanska.

Cirstea coped with a bevy of incorrect line calls in her match, but won six Hawk-eye electronic challenges.

"After that many, I didn't trust anyone anymore," she said. "I felt like someone was playing a joke on me. There were too many mistakes, I've never experienced this.

"It was just hilarious. It was everyone, not just one linesperson. The chair umpire didn't over-rule anything. I'm thankful we have this (Hawk-eye) system. It was important to stay in the match mentally."

The Romanian also helped her own cause with 15 aces and won the last 10 games on the way to victory.

Bartoli, the 2009 champion and runner-up to Williams last year, was plagued by errors in a match lasting just under 90 minutes.

She double-faulted twice in what proved to be the final game when she lost serve for the fourth time.

Bartoli saved the first match point she faced, but Wickmayer followed with a winner Bartoli couldn't reach.

It was world number 37 Wickmayer's first win over the 2007 Wimbledon finalist and world number 10 in four meetings.

Wickmayer, now into her fourth semi-final of 2012, kept Bartoli well off the top of her game.

"I was focused even when I was leading," said Wickmayer, a finalist at two tournaments this season. "I played some of my best tennis today."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options