Li's woes worsen in Wimbledon wipeout

Li Na's Grand Slam slump worsened as she tumbled out of the Wimbledon second round on Wednesday with a 6-3, 6-4 defeat to unseeded Romanian Sorana Cirstea.

Elsewhere compatriot Peng Shuai piled on the misery for Japan by downing Ayumi Morita as Tatsuma Ito and veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm also went crashing out.

Chinese number one Li, the 11th seed, became the first Asian player to win a Grand Slam after lifting the 2011 French Open title.

But since then, she has failed to get past the fourth round of any of the big four tournaments.

"She played unbelievable. She hit the ball so deep and that's why I had a lot of mistakes. And she also had a pretty good serve. She got more free points than me," Li told AFP.

"I don't think I played so bad. I still had chances in the second set, a lot of break points but I didn't hold. This was a big mistake.

"I need three days to recover and think about what I should do."

Peng, the 30th seed, beat Morita 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 in the all-Asian second round clash.

She next faces Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands, who knocked out Australian fifth seed Sam Stosur, the reigning US Open champion, for a place in the last 16.

Date-Krumm, comfortably the oldest player at Wimbledon at 41, vowed to do everything in her power to return next year after losing in the first round.

The Japanese number one -- who reached the Wimbledon semi-finals in 1996 before taking 12 years out of the sport -- lost 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 to Ukraine's world number 66 Kateryna Bondarenko.

She said her doctors advised her not to play due to a left calf injury sustained at the French Open, but over-ruled them as Wimbledon holds special memories.

"Three days ago I was almost not playing here," she told AFP.

"The doctor said don't play. And the physio also said don't play. It's too much risk, especially my age.

"But Wimbledon is my favourite tournament. And then also I don't know how many years I can play. I don't know next year or two years later. Every year is almost the last year for me.

"I don't want to give up, so I took the risk."

Ito was knocked out in the men's first round by Poland's Lukasz Kubot in a match that took just minutes to complete.

The pair were rained off Tuesday at 30-30 with Kubot 7-6 (8/6), 6-3, 5-3 up and the higher-ranked Pole quickly completed victory over the Japanese number three.

Taiwan's Hsieh Su-Wei beat France's Stephanie Foretz Gacon 6-4, 6-1 to set up a potential third round clash with women's world number one Maria Sharapova.

The Russian top seed and French Open champion was 7-6 (7/3), 3-1 up on Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova, a 2010 Wimbledon semi-finalist, when play was abandoned Wednesday.

In the men's doubles first round, seventh-seeded Indian pairing Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna beat Marcel Felder of Uruguay and Tunisia's Malek Jaziri 6-0, 7-6 (7/1), 6-2.

The Indian pair are at the centre of a bitter row embroiling Indian tennis over the doubles pairings for the London 2012 Olympics.

They both refused to play with the higher-ranked Leander Paes for a range of personal and professional reasons.

"Things couldn't have got uglier for us in Indian tennis the last week," Bhupathi said.

"Everyone has their opinion. Everyone probably stands by it.

"Maybe after the Olympics there is something to be done. We're just glad this whole thing is behind us."

Elsewhere, in the men's doubles, Pakistan's Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and his Dutch partner Jean-Julien Rojer, the eighth seeds, booked their place in the second round.

Treat Conrad Huey of the Philippines and his British partner Dominic Inglot were knocked out.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options