Yudhoyono may lose sight of presidency in party wrangles

Jakarta (The Jakarta Post/ANN) - As Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono tries to deal with the turmoil that has rocked his Democratic Party, critics worry that his decision to take over the party could adversely impact his running of the country.

On Sunday evening, Yudhoyono met with leaders of all 33 Democratic Party provincial branches at his private residence in Cikeas, Bogor, West Java, in an apparent move to strengthen his grip on the party's nationwide structure after taking over control from incumbent chairman Anas Urbaningrum.

Following the meeting, Yudho-yono ordered all provincial branch leaders to sign integrity pacts that would ban them from engaging in corrupt practices.

Yudhoyono also defended his decision to take control of the party.

"I am committed to my oath to serve the country. My predecessors, such as the late National Awakening Party [PKB] chief patron Abdurrahman Wahid and Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle [PDI-P] chairperson Megawati Soekarnoputri, also ran their parties without ignoring the state," Yudhoyono said.

Yudhoyono's decision to involve himself in the party's internal affairs by wresting control from Anas was announced on Friday night following long meetings with party patrons late last week.

Many have criticised the decision. "Yudhoyono must be careful in making such a decision because it could be a political blunder. His decision to take over the party may consume his resources and compromise his concentration on governing the state," IndoBarometer political analyst M. Qodari said on Sunday.

Qodari warned that if it appeared his government's performance was affected, it could be even worse for Yudhoyono's image and the popularity of the Democratic Party. "He mustn't let his efforts to salvage his party wreck the country."

Indonesian Survey Institute (LSI) analysts Burhanuddin Muhtadi concurred with Qodari. "This is the last two years of Yudhoyono's administration. He should be concerned that people will only remember him as a mediocre president if his government fails to perform," he said.

Yudhoyono's decision to take on the responsibility for his party has also led to criticism from politicians, particularly those from parties in his ruling coalition.

"I think Yudhoyono's decision is a serious threat to the effectiveness of the Cabinet. The government could lose focus if his ministers follow his example in dealing largely with the problems of their respective political parties," Golkar Party lawmaker Bambang Soesatyo said.

In July last year, Yudhoyono told a Cabinet meeting that ministers who were too busy with their political activities ahead of the 2014 election should resign. He said he wanted all Cabinet members to prioritise the government's interests.

Presidential spokesman Julian Aldrin Pasha denied suggestions that Yudhoyono's interference in the Democratic Party could compromise his duties as President.

"The President has always put the state's interests ahead of everything. He is busy coordinating with his ministers, asking for reports and so on but not all of his activities are covered by the media. I think many analysts have failed to understand this, leading to them making comments that discredit the President," he said in a statement.

Julian said that Yudhoyono had little option but to step in and deal with the troubles that had beset his party. "The current situation has forced the President, as the Democratic Party's founder and chief patron, to devote a little portion of his time to salvage the party. His decision must be supported, otherwise, he could be deemed as unconcerned about the party's fate," Julian added.

Separately, Anas, who was not invited to the Cikeas meeting, has continued to act as if he is still in charge of the party. On Saturday, he inaugurated heads of party branches at regency and municipality levels in Banten, giving the impression that he still wields power within the party.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options