Zakharov ends Chinese diving clean sweep hopes

Russia's Ilya Zakharov dashed China's hopes of a clean sweep of all eight diving gold medals at the London Olympics with a gripping victory in the men's 3m springboard final on Tuesday.

Zakharov pumped his fist in the air as soon as he resurfaced upon scoring a competition high 104.50 points on his last dive to claim the gold medal from Chinese pair Qin Kai and defending champion He Chong.

The 21-year-old from Leningrad profited from a greater degree of difficulty of dives and kept his nerve to deny Qin the gold with a superlative closing forward four and a half somersault that left Qin shattered and in tears.

Zakharov, who finished runner-up behind He at last year's Shanghai world championships, totalled 555.90 from his six dives to take the gold ahead of Qin (541.75) and He (524.15).

Chinese divers had won all five events leading up to the men's springboard final and were on their way to go one better than their seven out of eight at the Beijing Games four years ago.

But they were denied the perfecta again, this time by Zakharov's series of brilliant dives off the springboard.

It also ended a run of four Chinese victories in the Olympic springboard event going back to Atlanta 1996, while the last Russian to win was Vladimir Vasin with the former Soviet Union at Munich in 1972.

"Having done that I'm delighted. I'm so pleased that I have managed to have taken at least one (gold) medal away from China," Zakharov said.

"My trump card were my last two dives because they were the most difficult and I focused completely on them."

Qin only led Zahharov by 1.25 points into the last dive, and his 89.10 for a reverse two and a half somersault with one and a half twists proved not enough against the resilient Russian.

Zakharov, who took silver in the 3m synchronised springboard with Evgeny Kuznetsov behind China on Wednesday, separated the two Chinese divers as second to He among the top qualifiers after the morning semi-finals.

And he continued his blazing form in the final, handling the pressure of the closing round to give Russia the gold.

"I realised that the Chinese were reachable during my synchronised 3m springboard dive," Zakharov said.

The Chinese pair, particularly He Chong, had looked vulnerable throughout the semi-final and final as Zakharov and Mexican Yahel Castillo maintained the pressure with a string of precision dives until Castillo cracked on his final dive.

Qin looked the better gold medal bet than He, who struggled to reproduce his best form, and had worked his way from fourth after the second round to lead into the sixth round.

Yet he could not close out the victory, leaving Zakharov with the final crack at gold which he took with relish with the highest-scoring dive of the final, with two of seven judges awarding him 10.

"Every athlete faces pressure, but if you want to be really good then you really need to handle that pressure to perform," Qin said.

"I think Ilya did really wonderful today and this is what the Olympics are all about. I want to congratulate him, even though I feel a little sorry, but he did so well today."

Defending champion He said it wasn't the pressure that got to him.

"I actually felt like it wasn't that much pressure, it was just me, the problem was me. I didn't do my best," He said.

"I have to accept the result of the competition. I started from way down and I tried to move up and I got a bronze. I'm still happy, but I'm a little bit disappointed."

Castillo was bidding to become the first Mexican Olympic diving champion since Joaquin Capilla on the platform at the 1956 Melbourne Games, but while leading after the fourth round he faltered with his final dive which netted him 64.75.

German Patrick Hausding finished fourth with 505.55 ahead of American Troy Dumais (498.35) and Castillo (492.70).

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options