Zambia reassures China after mine boss killing

The killing of a Chinese mine boss last weekend has left Zambian President Michael Sata's government rushing to reassure foreign investors on their safety, while trying also to improve conditions for workers.

Wu Shengzai, 50, was killed Saturday when workers crushed him with a trolley as he tried to flee underground to escape a wage riot at Collum Coal Mine in southern Zambia, in the most dramatic clash yet between Chinese managers and their local employees.

"As government we assure the Chinese community at Collum coal mine and investors at large, that Zambia is safe for them and their investment," government spokesman Kennedy Sakeni said.

"The government deeply regrets the death of a Chinese supervisor who died during a workers protest over wages," he added.

Twelve people were quickly arrested. One miner was charged with murder on Wednesday, while the others were slapped with lesser charges of theft and riotous behaviour.

"There won't be any sacred cows, and those that would be found wanting will face the wrath of the law," Labour Minister Fackson Shamenda told AFP.

When Sata was an opposition leader, he railed against the growing Chinese presence in Zambia. Since winning elections last year, he has softened his tone on China but still promised to improve working conditions in a country where about 60 percent of the population lives on less than $1.25 a day.

That is what he aimed to do when his government last month unveiled new minimum wages that doubled the basic salaries for many types of work.

Mineworker salaries are governed by a separate agreement negotiated by unions, but not all Collum employees are covered by the deal.

Some complain that they earn as little as $173 a month. The riot began when they received their paychecks for July, seeing that they now earn less than the new minimum wage for shopkeepers of $227.

China is the largest foreign investor in Zambia, Africa's biggest copper producer and a supplier of coal and other minerals.

Beijing poured an estimated $6.1 billion between 2007 and 2011 into a country whose gross domestic product this year is estimated at just $20 billion.

Non-Ferrous China Africa, a state-owned mining firm, announced a new $823 million deal in June.

But Chinese firms have a notorious reputation as employers.

A report by Human Rights Watch last year found that Chinese firms ignore labour protections, demanding up to 18 hours of labour a day and flout health and safety rules.

But Wu's killing still shocked a nation that prides itself on its history of peace and a series of democratic transitions over the last two decades.

"This is sad and un-Zambian. We are known to be peaceful people and the death of the investor is likely to tarnish our good image," said Lazarus Daka, a shopkeeper in a Chinese-run shop.

He works in Lusaka's Kamwala commercial district, an area where red Chinese laterns dot sidewalks and where Zambians come seeking bargains on clothing, toys and other goods.

Business in Kamwala has run largely as normal, but Zambia's Post newspaper said that at Collum mine, the large Chinese community has barricaded themselves inside their homes for fear of more violence.

The opposition United Party for National Development heaped blame on Sata's government for Wu's death.

Party leader Hakainde Hichilema said the surprise announcement of new wages had created enormous expectations among workers, while leaving employers little time to comply with a doubling of basic salaries. The resulting tensions, he said, were inevitable.

"The government is certainly to blame for the death of the Chinese, and if not careful this tag of being a peaceful country for foreign investors will soon go," Hichilema told AFP.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options